Traffic signs and road markings

Started by Bill Baker, May 30, 2007, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Baker

Do any of you old timers recall what color were stop signs and highway stripes back in the 1940s or 1950s?  I'm thinking the stop signs were yellow with black lettering and the highway stripes were all white but I'm not sure.
Bill

Nathan

We did a lot of traveling when I was young.  As I recall from the early 1950's it varried by state, or sometimes by county.  Highway stripes even varried by where you were on the road at the time.

I do recall some stop signs that were round, as well as square.

Speed limit signs also varried, as did the signs for the street names.

SteamGene

There was a time when stop signs were yellow and black but I can't remember when that stopped.  One thing I do remember is that highways did NOT have a stripe along the side of the road - all stripes were in the middle.  The Yield sign was a product of the 50s, but I can't remember when. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Paul M.

I remember seeing pictures of the yellow and black signs. I think they stopped having them in yellow & black around 1953, but I'm not sure.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

chewie8han

I hope this helps.  It looks like the Yellow and Black ran from 1924-1954.  Before that they were Black on White.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_sign

Kevin

RAM

I agree with most of the information given.  I started about 1950.  As I recall the signs were all about the same shape they are now.  How ever if you got off of the main roads you might find anything. I do not recall when they changed from yellow sign with black letters.  some one makes signs in the 40s-50s area.  It may be woodland. 

Bill Baker

Kevin,

Thanks, you nailed it!  I don't know why I never think of using Wikipedia.  It's a great source for just about everything.

Thanks again,
Bill
Bill

SteamGene

Wikipedia can be good, poor, or awful depending on the source.  Remember, in most cases anybody can post an entry.  The entry mentioned seems credible, however.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"