Bachmann Plus 4-8-4 w/ smoke: want 2 add sound and DCC

Started by noncngdriver, October 09, 2010, 01:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noncngdriver

I have a Class J 4-8-4 W/smoke, I'd like 2 add sound and DCC, PLEASE HELP, I'd be appreciatively happy!!!  I know there's some1 out there that did this just because some1 said it couldn't be done. Aaron
I hope and pray that as we play, we remember that we should always have funn!!! If U can't have funn there's no need 2 play or stay a child @ heart! God bless and have funn w Ur choo choo!!!

ABC

It can be done, the first thing I would do is wire the tender for pickup and proceed by putting the decoder and speaker in the tender. Just one thing to remember a poor running DC loco becomes a poorer DCC loco. I don't think it is worth it personally, for $110-$130 you can buy a better running loco that already has sound and DCC and you don't have to worry about ruining your loco. You would be able to sell your old loco in the range of $35 to $50. Yielding a total net cost of $60 to $95.
Here is a link that shows how much the N&W J's with sound go for:
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/Bachmann-/19132/i.html?LH_Complete=1&_nkw=4-8-4%20sound&rt=nc&LH_TopRatedSellers=1&_adv=1&_dmd=1&_dmpt=Model_RR_Trains&_fln=1&_fsct=&_in_kw=1&_ipg=50&_oexkw=&_okw=4-8-4%20sound&_sc=1&_sop=15&_ssov=1&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282&_udhi=&_udlo=
Here is a list of what comparable 4-8-4s have sold for:
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/Bachmann-/19132/i.html?LH_Complete=1&_nkw=4-8-4%20J&_dmd=1&_dmpt=Model_RR_Trains&_fln=1&_sop=15&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=29&_udhi=128

The sound decoder alone will cost you $85, and after you add in the cost of a high quality speaker and baffle. the cost is $100. Then you have to figure it will take you at least several hours to install if not more. Unless the loco was given to you such that it has sentimental value, it is a lot easier and cheaper to sell the old one and buy a new one with DCC and sound.

Doneldon

ncd-

I'm with ABC on this one.  Your loco isn't worth the time or money necessary to upgrade it, especially given the ready availability of what you want in  better running finished package.  Save the big bucks and frustration for the projects which really warrant them.
                                                                                                                                                                     -- D

noncngdriver

I thank U both 4 Ur time and effort. And I actually understand what u're trying 2 convey 2 me. If U both only knew, my wife, not only likes the steam era, but she likes the smoke! I can't seem 2 find engines that have smoke and DCC sound!!! I know they're out there and might B expensive, but she always gives me what I want, so Y can't I do the same? It didn't have 2B Bachmann or Spectrum, but that's where I started  with and that's what I have !!! I really figured, it wouldn't B that hard 2 accomplish. Every which way I go tho sure doesn't help me get any closer 2 her train w/ smoke and DCC!!! Thanx anyway.
I hope and pray that as we play, we remember that we should always have funn!!! If U can't have funn there's no need 2 play or stay a child @ heart! God bless and have funn w Ur choo choo!!!

noncngdriver

I'm sorry I was so disappointed about U guys 2 answers, I didn't even read all the post. No, it doesn't have any sentimental value, just wanted my wife 2 have a DCC sound w/ smoke. Aaron

skipgear

My only experience with HO smoke is in an Athearn BigBoy and Challenger that I added it to for a friends layout. I don't think it's worth the hassle. The smoke oil get's all over everything and it is a pain in the behind to clean off the loco's. If you leave the smoke oil residue on the loco's for extended periods of time, it will damage the finish and plastic of the loco. Smoke is best left to the O scalers.

That said, it would still be easier and cheaper to pick up a new version of the J with sound already installed and then add the smoke. Seuth makes smoke modules and they are available from Walthers.

Not sure on the space available to install them in the Spectrum J's but I'm sure it can be done.

I believe MTH made/makes a J with Sound and Smoke now also.

Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

ABC

Quote from: skipgear on October 09, 2010, 11:12:03 AM
I believe MTH made/makes a J with Sound and Smoke now also.
HO smoke is not very realistic and actually hinders the running of the locomotive. It be easier to start with the new loco and add an aftermarket smoke machine. You can get the HO scale MTH Class J 4-8-4 with sound and smoke for $325-$350, which is a bit excessive, but it is a very nice loco. A smoke machine can be purchased for about $15-$20 and would not take terribly long to install.

bobwrgt

Broadway Limited makes a few engines ready for smoke. Mantua also has several that use the Seuth smoke units. Hornby, Roco, Liliupt, Fleischmann, and Marklin are capable of smoke with Seuth units added. They have been using them for years in Europe.
I have never used the Bachmann smoke they have. The only one i've seen working good are in the G scale engines that run at a higher voltage. In  HO i don't see any differance in running an engine with or without smoke. It may draw more AMPs but the voltage is the same.
I have several with smoke and have never had a problem with the fluid on the paint or plastic. No damage. I don't run them all the time but the kids and visitors like them. Dept. 56 and Lamp oil can be used also and they are scented.  During the holidays the pine tree is great.
The best smoke units are the MTH units in there O scale line. Second would be Seuth for all scales.
With Dcc you might be able to better control the smoke units.

Bob

New ChooChoo

Hi there,
   I have a similar problem to yours. I have an HO GS4 Southern Pacific Daylight engine and tender that has only DCC on board and I want to upgrade it to sound. I did look in the tender and didn't see any provisions to add a sound decoder. The DCC decoder had two plugs going to the engine. One 4 wire connection and one 2 wire connection. This engine can be used both with DC and DCC. Any info would be appreciated.
New ChooChoo

ABC

Buy a tsunmai steam sound decoder with an 8-pin plug remove the existing Bachmann/Lenz decoder replace with this decoder, buy a speaker and baffle that will fir inside the tender. Adding the sound decoder, speaker, and baffle will set you back about $95-$100. Unfortunately the Daylight GS-4 does not come with factory sound like the N&W J class.

WTierce1

New Choo Choo I have a sugjestion Hobby Town USA now carries sound decoders that only has a two wire connection that pics up power. you could get that is steam and leave the original decoder because the sound decoder just has sound so as far as that goes you could connect it to the track and leave it stationary. I even thought about putting it in a box car and then I could run it with any train I wanted so I would only have to have one decoder. The nice thing is that they are anly $45. Hope this helps.  ;D
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

New ChooChoo

Thanks for the ideas guys. Upon looking closer inside the tender, I found that the DCC decoder does indeed unplug. Looking on the Soundtraxx site, I see that the sound decoders are very small and would not be a problem to replace the current decoder that is there. I would have to get a speaker also and I think there is enough room for that too. One thing on the Soundtraxx site...are the decoders available with the 8 pin plug n play connector already wired. The site doesnt really say and the pictures seem to only show decoders with wires and no connector in the pictures.
    I am used to O scale trains that are readily available with sound in them. I am learning though. Just want to get it all right the first time around. All the info is greatly appreciated!