Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-4 GS4 (SOUTHERN PACIFIC)

Started by CG04, October 09, 2010, 10:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CG04

Hello folks,

I need some help (advice) with my GS4.
It is a replacement for the GS4 that I got with my first Bachmann Set, the Overland Limited.

After about an hour of break-in time, it still only runs at about 40 scale MPH.  Is this normal or shouldn't it run a bit faster?  It runs the same speed whether by itself or pulling the passenger cars (eight).

Will putting in the dummy plugs help the speed?

Next problem is that it runs backwards compared to "ALL" my other locos including Bachmann and others.

Any help (advice) will surely be appreciated.

Clif

ABC

Sorry about that, yeah put the jumpers in and that should help out especially if you are not running DCC. But, that is about as fast as the Bachmann models go anyways. I saw the Overland Limited part so I figured you were talking about the UP loco that is just DC.

CG04

ABC,

Thanks for the reply, BUT.

This loco is the 4-8-4 GS4 Southern Pacific Daylight made by Bachmann (HO scale).  The box it came in clearly says DCC ON BOARD.
The dummy plugs are included in the box along with instructions for installing them.

The real GS4's could run well over 90 MPH so I guessed that the model should run somewhere in that range at full speed.  Not that I have the layout size to do it though.

Clif

CG04

OK, I'll try the dummy plugs to see if that helps.

Now, what about the direction it runs?  It runs the opposite direction of all the rest of my locos.  Is this an easy fix ???

Clif

ABC

I think you can just switch the two motor leads and it should run the same direction.

GN.2-6-8-0

To my knowledge none of the Bachmann SP Daylights were concidered great running engines, most as stated were of the train set variety which were meant to entice people into the hobby at a initial low cost.
There are much better quality Daylights on the market but they"ll set your bankbook back in the $300+ range. such as the brass Tsunami equipped Import below.
But watch her haulin' her consist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYneMg1PYdc
Rocky Lives

CG04

Hey Guys,

GN.2-6-8-0,

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I had to take time for some golf and then some college football.
I am more than happy with the performance of the Bachmann GS4.  It runs quiet and pulls great.  It's just a bit slower than I expected.  Hopefully putting in the dummy plugs will help a smidge.  If I can get it to 60 scale MPH I will be happy.

Clif

CG04

Hey to ABC and GN.2-6-8-0,

Mission accomplished. 
I got the dummy plugs in and I believe it increased the speed considerably.  I'm guessing she's running about 55 to 60 scale MPH now.
I can live with that.  As for pulling,  she pulls the eight passenger cars with no problems on my flat layout.

Clif