News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

trouble with wiring remote turnouts

Started by fzorn, October 09, 2010, 04:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fzorn

I'm an n-scale novice.  I have set up a layout for my son that allows for the train to reverse direction when some of the turnouts are thown.  Good in theory.  When any of the turnouts are thrown, the track loses power.  To isolate the power issue, I disconnected the track so that I only have power to a section of track that contains one turnout.  When the locomotive is between the "power" track and the turnout, power is fine, no matter which way the turnout is set.  Once the train goes past the turnout, and I throw the turnout to go the other way, I lose power.  Anyone have any suggestions?

ABC

No, bad in theory, bad in reality. What you have is a reversing loop, which you will need to remove, or rectify by isolating the reverse loop with insulating rail joiners and then supplying power to the reversing section with a switch you can throw to control polarity. Additionally, the Bachmann N scale turnouts are power routing meaning the power only goes in the direction the turnout is thrown, so you need to use extra track feeders after the turnout to power both directions.

fzorn

Yep.  Thanks.  I called the local model train store, and heard the same.  Will be going in to talk to their "experts" on how to isolate, and see if it's feasible, given my layout, or just tear down and redesign, which would be a real drag.

ABC

Hope everything works out for you, Good Luck!