News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Min Radius for a Thomas LS train.

Started by dave2-8-0, October 03, 2010, 11:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave2-8-0

I'm thinking of adding a "Thomas" Loop to my garden RR, so the neighborhood kids can run it.

I've tried to find the Min Radius that a "Thomas' set would run on, and the best that I could come up with is a guess of 2ft. Radius, based on that the set comes with a 4 x 5 foot set of track.

Is my Guess Correct, for all the "Thomas" cars and add ons?  And the other engines?

Thanks
New Mexico Northern Rail Road

armorsmith

Dave,

I can't speak to any of the other 'Thomas' characters, but Thomas and coaches run fine on the standard 4' diameter circle. Mine ran for 2 days straight at the South East Garden Railroad Show on 4' diameter curves. That being said, there is visible slowing as Thomas enters the tight curves. As always recommended on any of the large scale forums, the larger the radius the better.

Looking at Percey, being a 4 wheel locomotive, I would think he would also do fine on 4' diameter. I can't remember James' wheel arrangement, but I would bet Bachmann also set him so he will run on 4' diameter.

Good luck with your garden railway expansion.

Bob C.

Doneldon

Bob-

I think James is a ten-wheeler.  He might do fine on 24" radius as the other Bachmann 4-6-0 locos do.  I wonder if a little conductive grease would help on tight curves.  The 1:1 railroads do it.  Of course they don't have to worry about dirt and gunk.  Just a thought.
                                                                                                                                                                -- D

NarrowMinded

I recently read of someone using graphite from a pencil on their tracks, I have not tried it yet but it seems like it may work.

As for slowing in curves I think it is more prototypical.

NM