Dream rolling stock for Bachmann to produce

Started by kcsivils1, October 13, 2010, 08:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmiller

heck, you can probably kitbash or 'scratchbash' just about any piece of rolling stock ever made...but that doesn't really have any bearing on whether Bachmann (or anyone else) should sell something or not.
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

lvrr325

No, but usually the fastest way to generate a "new product announcement" for whatever it is you want.... is to finish bashing or scratchbuilding one yourself. 

That said I'm happy with my RPO and I think as I do more cars they will get easier to make and come out even better.  With all the pre-cut styrene, siding, and detail parts out there wood cars are certainly quite easy. 

I discovered the other day that the Lionel "Scout" double-door boxcar, which has a more or less S-scale body, would work for an On30 car if you wanted to redo the ladders and so forth - I didn't measure what the length is on it, but it might be a start for another steel car.  They're only worth about $5 in nice shape. 

Ned

Many very nice and interesting selections already offered.

I'd like to see some additions to the Brewery series.

Ned

glennk28

Re:  the Lionel boxcar--if you can find a copy of the January 1977 Railroad Model Craftsman, I had an article on converting various Lionel and American Flyer cars to On3--Cars for On3 were as scarce then as those for On30 are now.  My conversion of AHM and Atlas O Gauge Bobber cabooses was worth the Dremel Kitbash Award.  I converted several cars for a friend.

Glenn Joesten

Royce Wilson

The HO plow is not wide enough for O narrow gauge unless you fashion a wider plow, then whats the point of buying the HO version? :o

Royce ;D

lvrr325

I already explained this once, but I see no one is thinking three-dimensionally.   I'm not saying this will be shake-the-box Athearn kit easy, but it's not too many steps up from it - using the HO plow as the basis for an On30 plow means altering it to the proper width, or merely using it as a template to make one from scratch.   You could also copy the Walthers HO wedge plow.  Where they are difficult is because of the curve of the blade, but using thin enough styrene sheet (even layering it twice to make it a little more durable) should get around that problem. 

Now that I picked up a batch of cars for wholesale prices I may start this project using a caboose body and extra freight car frame.  I see someone makes a laser cut wood body for the chassis, so it's still saleable sans the shell -

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

All I can say is WOW....some really great ideas here.   Think along the lines of kit bashing,  wouldn't it be nice to see Bachmann produce some of their current line of On30 cars as kits,  therefore kitbashing would be a bit easier.
     I already stated my preference for an EBT style caboose.   Does anyone remember the tiny lumber caboose that Kadee offers?   That would be a great caboose for those of you who like lumber type railroads.
     I have a caboose made from a boxcar kit from Mt. Blue Models.  That would be a nice add to the Bachmann line.
     How about a nice wheel/tie flatcar?
     I would also like to be able to get things like separate cupolas to make cabooses with different looks.   Also ladders,  steps,  etc. for bashing purposes.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

ebtbob

Let me try the image of the wheel/tie flatcar again.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

glennk28

ou want detailing parts?  Get Grandt's catalog.  gj

ebtbob

Glenn,

Have you done any kitbashing or scratch building in O scale?   If yes,  how do you find Grandt line for parts selection and availability?
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

glennk28

lots of both --I have been in On3 since about 1974, Ob5 since about 1960--considerable scratchbuilding and kitbashing--note my reference above to an RMC-Dremel kitbash award--I use Grandt parts extensively-there are several items I try to keep on hand.---I like to use styrene for cars--brass for locos. 

As an EBT  guy, a couple of friends and I rebuilt five Sunset  EBT #18's to Pacifics--one went to Joe Luber of Pro Custom Hobbies--

gj