Previous topic - Next topic

ClearwtaerMK2

I wonder if bachmann ever uses these toolings:

-Epoxy putty

-Polyester putty

-Plasticine

-Plasticard

-This--->

Bachmann,If you ever use these tooling for the thomas & friens range then please answer back because I'm really curious.

StanierJack

Quote from: ClearwtaerMK2 on October 14, 2010, 04:02:09 PM
I wonder if bachmann ever uses these toolings:

-Epoxy putty

-Polyester putty

-Plasticine

-Plasticard

-This--->

Bachmann,If you ever use these tooling for the thomas & friens range then please answer back because I'm really curious.

Eh? Those aren't toolings at all.

Those are tools.

Tooling are normally used for injection moulding and/or casting. Seeing as most of Bachmann's models are cast plastic and cast metal blocks, most of the models are made from metal and plastic casting.

The only one of those listed above used is the soldering iron, and that is because there needs to be some way to join electrical components and keep the current flowing.

PerfectPercy

Speaking of soldering: one of my wires came out of James. Is there a special kind of solder to use to put it back into place or should I melt the existing so it can dry up and hold the wiring? I see where it goes and all, so some inquiries would help.

Thanks

ClearwtaerMK2

I assumed that the body shell is molded with either epoxy or polyester putty along with the faces. :P

Hoss

Quote from: PerfectPercy on October 16, 2010, 01:22:01 PM
Speaking of soldering: one of my wires came out of James. Is there a special kind of solder to use to put it back into place or should I melt the existing so it can dry up and hold the wiring? I see where it goes and all, so some inquiries would help.

Thanks
Just regular rosin core solder, nothing special. If there is enough there, just melt the existing. All I can say is this, STAY AWAY FROM ACID CORE SOLDER FOR ELECTRICAL WORK!!!! The acid in the flux will corrode the system and it is not pretty.

PerfectPercy

Quote from: Hoss on October 20, 2010, 08:16:10 AM
Quote from: PerfectPercy on October 16, 2010, 01:22:01 PM

Thanks
Just regular rosin core solder, nothing special. If there is enough there, just melt the existing. All I can say is this, STAY AWAY FROM ACID CORE SOLDER FOR ELECTRICAL WORK!!!! The acid in the flux will corrode the system and it is not pretty.

Thanks.

I think I'll just melt the existing because or how small the wire is. I just hope that I don't melt the surrounding plastic or the frail electrical contacts in the process. :-\

Hoss

Put the wire between a hot iron and the solder. As soon as the solder melts and takes the wire, get the iron out of there. Then there should be no problems.