cutting track to making blocks on Bachmann EZ track

Started by surveyorbill, October 15, 2010, 05:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surveyorbill

I have a book, I will reread it about electric wiring. I can just leave the inner and outer loop separate. I still want blocks.

The Backmann EZ snap track is an ok product. I and my hobby store advisor tried to gently remove the little brass joiner to replace with a plastic joiner to make a break in the track. They appear to be spot welded on. All we managed to do is destroy several pieces of track. We tried the rail snippers which cut the rail but leave no space and are not smooth cuts. I got a 1/16th thick dremel grinding wheel but it just polishes the track instead of cutting it.  A mini 50 tooth saw cuts but is hard to isolate the cut to the desired track. What can be done? I will put a fotos when i decode photobucket.

jward

you were on the right track with the dremel. but instead of using a grinding wheel you need to use cutoff disks. you can glue a small piece of styrene in the gap in the rails to keep them seperated, then file the joint smooth with a needle file.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

OldTimer

When you use a cutoff disk, be SURE to wear eye protection.  The disks will occasionally shatter.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

jgaynor

guys you do realize that Bachmann make a 9" section with a built in insulated gap, product # 44597. It comes in a two pack.
I found it in the Bachmann catalog and i'm sure its on the website if you look.
hope this helps
I do it all for the love of my son Cameron

ABC

It is expensive though, easier just to make your own.

Jim Banner

I find it quick and easy to cut through the rail with an Atlas Hobby Saw, then slip a piece of writing paper between the cut ends and saturate the paper with Crazy Glue.  The glue saturated paper keeps the rail ends apart.  After a few hours of drying, the hardened paper can easily be filed even with the top and edges of the rail head.

Hobby saws do not last forever.  If you have problems cutting the rail, it could be because your saw is worn out.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

surveyorbill

Thanks for the encouragement and ideas. I need to borrow a dremel. The pre cut pack is  Price: $30.00

lwmlwm44

I have removed the rail joiners on several pieces of Bachman ez track with the grey roadbed with no problem     Maybe I have been lucky   I use a regular pair of piers and pull the joiner off.    Generally I do this to a short piece of straight track in case I would damage one but have had no problems.

Larry

Joe323

On a related topic.  I am planning the new A K & J Rwy and have been reviewing several track plans and using AnyRail.

Here's my problem some of the plans I like were made with Atlas  snap track or true track and use some odd pieces that I do not have in EZ track.  I was thinking of using flex track (with cork roadbed) to fill the gaps rather then ordering and cutting up EZ track (Some of the plans do not quite line up)  I have the dremel.  Has anyone had any experience doing this?

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: lwmlwm44 on October 19, 2010, 10:38:59 AM
I have removed the rail joiners on several pieces of Bachman ez track with the grey roadbed with no problem     Maybe I have been lucky   I use a regular pair of piers and pull the joiner off.    Generally I do this to a short piece of straight track in case I would damage one but have had no problems.

Larry

This worked for me, too, at least, a couple of years ago. I needed to supply power to a circle of the 15-inch-radius EZ Track. I pulled off the joiners and replaced them with Atlas terminal joiners, the joiners that come with wire already attached to them.

Doneldon

Joe-

Yes, I've cut up EZ track and it worked just fine.  I even cut pieces off of the ends of some of my (well, my grandson's) switches to make his yard more compact and that was fine, too.  In some cases I found it necessary to glue adjacent ballast sections together for stability but I connected all of the rails with rail joiners.  I was also made sure that I had electrical continuity through the rail junctions.
                                                                                                              -- D