News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Crossings?

Started by dmolavi, October 22, 2010, 01:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmolavi

I'm about to embark on my On30 platform, but need some crossings for my track plan.  MicroEngineering doesn't have any, and I can't find any at Peco either...are there other manufacturers that make them, or will I have to handlay them?

Stevelewis

One  way  round  your  problem  is  to  buy  00/H0  crossings  and replace  the  sleepers  (Ties) with 7mm scale  ties,    removed from   0n30  track.  I  have  doe it  and  it  works.

I Used Peco Track

Hope  this  helps
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Stevelewis

For  further  information  PECO   actually  sell  sleeper packs  for  converting  00/H0  points  (switches) & Crossings  to  0n30 crossings  catalogue  number  SL 501,  not  sure  of  avaiability in the  USA but  no doubt  could  be  mail order  from  a UK  retailer.
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Anubis

Hi dmolavi

I purchased a couple of packets of those SL501 re-sleepering kits some time ago, with a view to using them to convert Peco HO crossings to On30 style, but after due consideration, I thought that it just wasn't worth the added effort.

I only had a couple of crossings on that layout, and decided to use them as is - in HO scale.

I added a bit more ballast in and around the sleepers than usual, and once it was all up and running, it wasn't even noticeable. 

That layout also called for an extra sharp-radius wye turnout, due to space limitations. As such an animal was not available on Peco 0-16.5 / On30 range, I was obliged to use a Peco Setrack wye, which I also OVER ballasted around the sleepers to hide them.

The result was exactly as I needed, and now the only way you can pick the Setrack turnout is by the extra wide flange-ways and the 'dead' frog.

But that is not a problem..... ;D
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession