Looks like I might be leaving the hobby......

Started by BaltoOhioRRfan, October 16, 2010, 03:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surveyorbill

Hey do not leave.

I have a Bachmann 4 4 0 CB&Q etc that has about 5 minutes of runtime and was new last year. I find that it does not like the EZ track switches. It was 70 bucks w/o DCC. What you got to trade? I like logging flats or a camp car. It ought to be worth $40 NIB. Be well.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Ken S. on October 16, 2010, 06:43:36 PM
And there's a lack of willingness to help in this hobby too. I may have to throw away a perfectly good Athearn chassis because one truck needs a new sideframe and I can't get part of the old sideframe out. If no one wants to help me with that problem, maybe they can just buy me a brand new engine to repalce the one that I can't use anymore.

With that kind of a attitude it is no wonder why anyone would want to help you.
Pacific Northern

ebtnut

What's happened in the hobby is a function of global economics and attrition.  The population of model railroad hobbiests has been shrinking as us old-timers begin to expire, and are not being replaced by younger ones on the other end.  At the same time, many of those still in the hobby have been demandinng higher quality in detail and operation.  Look at what's happened to the brass market.  Back in the 1950's and early '60's, you could buy a PFM brass Ma & Pa 2-8-0 for $39.95.  Granted, our incomes and cost of living were a lot lower, but that was still atainable for many folks.  The prices kept rising, primarily because the standard of living in Japan kept rising, to the point where the importers began going to Korea, where labor was cheaper.  Today, new brass is a rarity, and VERY pricey.  Bachmann jumped into the Chinese market oh, maybe 20 year ago, which was then near the bottom of the cost of living ladder.  You now see what has transpired as the living standard in China has started its upward climb.  It may get around to where some domestic folks may see their way clear to re-enter the market, though probably only with kits.  But again, with a shrinking market base, I'm not that optimistic about the long-term prospects. 

richg

Quote from: Pacific Northern on October 17, 2010, 06:37:56 PM
Quote from: Ken S. on October 16, 2010, 06:43:36 PM
And there's a lack of willingness to help in this hobby too. I may have to throw away a perfectly good Athearn chassis because one truck needs a new sideframe and I can't get part of the old sideframe out. If no one wants to help me with that problem, maybe they can just buy me a brand new engine to repalce the one that I can't use anymore.

With that kind of a attitude it is no wonder why anyone would want to help you.

Duh, maybe no one has done that before. Show a picture of what you have. Oh, I looked at your post. Sounds like you found the problem but I suspect you do not know exactly what you are doing. Patience and planning can go a long way. Take some pictures and post them here. Study the loco carefully. This is not plug and play.
There are many variations among the same manufacturer for the same model loco.

Rich

richg

Quote from: Ken S. on October 17, 2010, 02:05:28 PM
I got the sideframes already, installed them last night. I went to test run the engine and found this problem. It's 2 Athearn engiines that I paid less then $100 for that I'm gonna have to spend $500 that I don't have right now to replace. I have an AMD-103 that's only taking power in the rear truck.

Dude, buy a multimeter from Harbor Freight for less than ten dollars including shipping and trouble shoot the issue.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html

I have three of these.

Rich

Colorado_Mac

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on October 16, 2010, 03:46:28 PM
...Considering the end of my model railroad career is probably near due to high rising costs at an alarming rate (and lack of a local hobby shop that care about the walk in customers that i can get to) I'm gonna have to drop out of the hobby....

To paraphrase Nike - DON'T Do It!
What else are you going to do as a hobby, that you enjoy as much, for less money?  You can't simply sit on your rear and stare at the television.  I've been inspired by your modeling, and I can tell it comes "from the heart". 

You will miss it too much.  Figure out a way to stay and play for less $$.  If you can figure out how to do those trains, you can figure this out.

To Ken - work it, dude.  I rebuilt the entire electrical system of a '67 Barracuda for $40.  It was a pain in the you-know-what, took a long time, and required much internet research and pestering of compadres for knowledge, but in the end I had a deep sense of satisfaction.  You can beat a toy, man.

CNE Runner

It may come as a surprise to the 'instant gratification' generation; but sometimes we can't have what we want immediately. The lament that "I'm gonna have to drop out of the hobby..." may be the most realistic course of action. Our hobby is supposed to be fun...not an additional source of stress. Honestly, it may be in your best interest to carefully pack your collection up and take a hiatus from model railroading. When you return (and you will), you will be in a much better place financially and emotionally.

Respectfully,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

OLD BILL

I to am 70 and live on fixed income but these few ideas I came up with might help.
one.  go with  DC.
two.  yard sales i hit em all once found bowser 55t hoppers for 25 cents a piece
          for 40 dollars found two huge boxes of HO trains and track and rolling stock from a
          widow(bless her) getting rid of husbands stuff.  A set of kdees and metal wheels
           and paint and decals made a difference.
three.   I once ask my garbage man about finding old trains in the trash.  Couple weeks later
           a box appeared at my driveway.  What a find for nothing.  It has happened a couple of
           since.   One was a lionel that netted me 250 dollars at  my hobby shop that I used with
           glee.  Also freshed baked cookies as a snack for the men helped to.

old bill

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: OLD BILL on October 20, 2010, 01:04:22 PM
one.  go with  DC.

When I look at prices for steam locomotives with DCC, sound, and I don't know what all, I am very glad I've stuck with DC. (As for sound, that's what my imagination is for.)

And today I even saw somebody listing replacement horn-hook couplers on eBay.  ;D

richg

We really need to deal with reality. This 2010, not 1955 or 1965 or 1975. It is 2010.
I wish for gas at 28 cents a gallon but it is never going to happen again.
I just paid $2.75 a gallon this morning. I could have paid $2.95  gallon but used my PC and looked around on the 'Net in my area and found comparison prices as a local TV station has an website with  a Gasoline Price Patrol link site where different people can put in the price they just paid. With some cell phones you can do this while in the car.
By the way, I am not going to stop driving because of the price ot stop eating because of the price.

Rich

Doneldon

ebt-

Some brass is still affordable.  I have a mess of brass Balboa and Lambert passenger cars which I bought for roughly the same price as the Walthers plastic cars, and some for less.  They are beautifully painted and most came with Central Valley trucks.  Locos can be another story but one can also acquire these at a reasonable price on ebay.  Just stick to reliable sellers and keep the costs of paint and maybe a can motor in mind while shopping.
                                                                                                                  -- D

andrechapelon

Back in the 1950's and early '60's, you could buy a PFM brass Ma & Pa 2-8-0 for $39.95

Yeah, that all sounds great until you find out that $39.95 back then is the equivalent of nearly $300 today ($291.50 to be more or less exact and using 1960 as the base year). Incidentally, the MSRP on the 4-4-0 by Spectrum is exactly $300. It can be had painted, lettered, coupler equipped and with DCC for that. The PFM brass engine was unpainted and needed couplers as well. With the Spectrum, the street price can be considerably less than MSRP. Build yourself a time machine, go back to 1960 and then see if you can get the PFM engine for at least 20% off list.

Sorry, that "things were so much more affordable back in the good ol' days" won't wash.

Incidentally, the formerly Spectrum (now standard) 2-8-0 retails for $145. The 1960 equivalent would be $19.65 (half the price of the PFM Ma & Pa 2-8-0). The DCC/Sound Equpped Baldwin 4-6-0 has an MSRP of $360. That's $48.73 in 1960 dollars. A PFM Southern Ps-4 4-6-2 would set you back $49.50 back then. Unpainted. sans couplers, devoid of sound.

Andre

Doneldon

ebt-

Yes, those locos were much cheaper than locos today, but we've had decades of inflation in the meantime.  A high-quality plastic loco sells today for about the inflation price of a similar brass loco, so they really aren't more expensive.  Also, we get much more detail on modern plastic steamers, and they run great right out of the box.  Many of the early brass locos barely ran at all when new and they made a whole lot of noise doing it.  They often needed to be remotored, have their gear trains tightened or replaced, or have the binding worked out of their valve gears.  Most were unpainted unlike most loco models today.  Just sayin'...

-- D

NWsteam

I'm in college; I can't afford much as it is. This is where you turn back to operations. I have also recently gotten into scratch building buildings. Save up for purchases and make sure you bargain shop! If you look around really hard there are steals out there! Also, limit your buying. I model the Norfolk & Western so that is all I buy. Also I model the early 50's so that cuts down on the range of equipment I buy. Focusing your interest will curb your spending habits. Also now is a great time to plan for the future. I can't even tell you how many layout ideas I have drawn up in last year.

As to price, we are in an economic slump. We are feeling the crunch as well as manufactures.

-Brad

RAM

Another thing one can do.  If you are starting out you don't need 20 locomotives.  If you want to model your own short line.  You can look for gp7-9 or an s1 or sw1500.  some rr that some store has a lot of and wants to get rid of them.  Patch out NH or nyc, put you own rr name AOK.  You can have a lot of fun doing your own thing.