News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What train sets come with N/S e-z track?

Started by oneacer, October 17, 2010, 09:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneacer

I am thinking of purchasing a train set for my grandson and was wondering which train sets come with the N/S e-z track. I was also looking at the Overland Limited along with the extra box of N/S track to start out, but I am not sure of which track comes with the Overland. Also would there be a better set to start out with? I have not been associated with trains since I was a kid. Thanks for the advice.

mabloodhound

I thought all of the sets came with the NS track but I just looked at the product page and it doesn't specify.
If you get to look at a set in person, if it has the gray roadbed it is NS, the black roadbed uses plain steel rail.
Maybe the Bach-Man will chime in here.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

ABC

I bought the overland limited set this year and it came with Steel track (black roadbed), it formerly came with 18" radius track, but now it comes with 22" radius. I would not suggest this set though, I just bought it because it was on clearance for $90 at Hobby Lobby. I would suggest you do this buy a Bachmann 2-8-0 it is  a very good running locomotive and not too expensive, buy him a couple pieces of rolling stock, and enough track to make an oval with 22" radius and a pack of straight track. Alternatively you can purchase a set with a 2-8-0 such as the Bachmann Spectrum Explorer passenger train set (includes a 2-8-0 & 3 passenger cars), or the Bachmann Spectrum Frontiersman freight train set (includes hopper, boxcar, & caboose). Another good choice would be the Bachmann Spectrum Cavalier (which includes a N&W class J 4-8-4 and 3 passenger cars).

If we knew the age of your grandson, we would be able to further advise you.

oneacer

Hi, I forgot to mention that he will be almost 8 by Christmas, but a very smart 8. I will certainly take your advice, and look into the 2-8-0 sets. Are these sets N/S e-z tracks?

update: I just checked out those 2-8-0 sets, and they indeed come with N/S track.

ABC

Yes they come with nickel-silver (grey roadbed track), but they are not currently in production, but still pretty readily available. Check online retailers, if you need help locating one let me know. If he enjoys trains running at full speed then these set are not for him because the 2-8-0 loco is pretty detailed, which means it is delicate and it hitting the floor would be a lot worse than a diesel loco or Thomas loco hitting the floor. If he can settle for slow to moderate speeds then this may be a good set for him.

Michigan Railfan

This link has a fair amount of train sets at the lowest prices I've seen. I'd bookmark the following website, because of their great deals on trains. Lowest prices I've seen online except for eBay.
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/HO-Scale-Train-Sets-s/334.htm

WTierce1

If you go to hobby town USA you can probably get the 2-8-0 sets. A my hobby town you can get nearly all of those set including the Acela. By the way, most of the spectrum sets also come with DCC installed other than certain versions of the acela. But they don't include the DCC remote but does include the regular controller witch runs it just fine. I have the Cavalier set and it is a VERY good set ant travels very fast without the cars on the track because the cars have lighting in them witch pulls some current so don't be worried. I think if It wasn't for that set I probably wouldn't have DCC today. I think all of the spectrum sets have a 22'' radius curve and include N/S track.  I would suggest all of the spectrum sets. I would watch the instruction videos because I got a free bachmann train from recognising the guy who does them at a train show.

-- Hope this helps
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad