News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

couplers

Started by Harry Romero, October 26, 2010, 12:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Romero

I need to purchase some couplers for my train but have no idea which coupler to purchase.  I have seen several couplers which state over the shaft, under the shaft with different lenghts.  How do i determine which coupler to purchase?  Thanks for any help

jonathan

Harry,

You did not mention the scale of your train, or the brand of your equipment.  

If your train is HO, Kadees or EZMate Mark IIs will work well.  If your equipment is Bachmann, I find the Kadee #148 (whisker spring) works the best.  It fits better in the thinner coupler boxes that seem to be on all Bachmann equipment.

Generally speaking, the Kadee #5 coupler is the best all around coupler to start with.  That is, if you have multiple brands of rolling stock.

It is simpler, and more economical to also pick up a pack of Kadee fiber washers to adjust the height of your cars, rather than purchasing various  overset and underset couplers.  The washers are placed between the truck and the underframe of your cars to adjust the height.  

Opinions will vary on couplers.  There are as many favorites as there are modelers.

Regards,

Jonathan

If you go with Kadees, please read the included instructions.  They are great couplers, but not 'plug-and-play'.  They require practice and adjustment. r, jv

Harry Romero

Thanks Jonathon

I am just starting this as a hobby.  My scale is HO and the brand is Bachmann

ebtbob

Harry,

You asked about over and under shank couplers.   Look at a coupler.  If the shank,  the part with the screw hole,  is at the bottom of the knuckle,  then you have an undershank coupler.   This would be used if you need to raise the height of the knuckle to match up with the other couplers,  or more importantly,  your coupler height gauge.   Obviously,  the over shank coupler is just the opposite from the under shank.   Most cars will take a center shank coupler.   Also note,  couplers come with different length shafts.   They come short,  medium,  and long.   If will become very obvious which length is best to use.   Again,  most cars will use the medium length coupler.   Some engines may need the longer couplers.
     Now I mentioned a coupler height gauge.   This is a VERY important tool that you should have in your tool box.   Using the height gauge will help you to be sure that all your cars and engines' couplers are at the same height.  The gauge is available from Kadee.   They offer two.  One is plastic and is the best bet so that if you accidently put the gauge on a powered piece of track you will not short out your railroad.
      The previous responder gave you good info on the couplers available from the different manufacturers.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

ebtnut

Just as important as having the right height for the couplers is to make sure the trip pin is at the right height.  It should be about 1/32" above the railhead so that it won't snag on rails going throught turnouts or crossings.  The bottom lip on the height gauge is there to make sure it is right.  A little bend with a pair of long-nose pliers will adjust as needed.  Kadee makes a special pair of pliers for this purpose, but you don't really need them if you take a bit of care.