News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

O scale figures & accesories

Started by jerryl, October 19, 2010, 01:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryl

Anyone have a source for REASONABLY priced O scale figures, vehicles etc. The lifelike aren't very life like. The Woodland Scenics are a little better & the well detailed Prisers can cost $45 for 5 figures. Along the same line, the Athearn vehicles are almost $30 & they are undersize (50:1). Other less expensive ones are too big (43:1). Really a shame that mfgs. can't standardize.   Thanks for your input...Jerry

ebtnut

The Artista figures are very nice and not overly pricey, last I looked.  I share your frustration with 1:48 vehicles.  I understand the 1:43 - they go with the European O scale at 7mm = 1 foot.  I did not understand Athearn's using 1:50 instead of 1:48, but the precentage difference is less than the 1:43/1:48.  In large measure, we're still dependent on tracking down old Monogram or Revell plastic kits from the 1950', or going with the cast-metal kits of Model T's and Model A's.  There is a large gap in 1:48 vehicles in the 1940-1960 period. 

Anubis

Hey ebtnut,

I'll second that! :)

It's almost impossible to find anything (reasonably priced) in 1:48, and even more so, here in Australia.

I usually have to make do with 1:43 vehicles, which are as you say, over-scale.

(Makes me very sorry that I didn't retain all those wonderful Dinky and Corgi die cast toy vehicles that I destroyed or lost in my junior years......) :'(

The likes of Solido and Matchbox are great looking models, but are usually so expensive to purchase, that it makes one think twice about attacking them with a saw or file in order to 'bash' them into something more useable.

Jerry, as to the figures that all purport to be "O Scale", I have always had a problem with them...........

Preiser stuff is exquisitely detailed, but every one is about seven scale feet tall, and the stuff is VERY expensive! Conversely, Woodlands Scenics and Model Power figures mostly seem to be on the short and stout side.

I reckon the best ones for our scale are the metal ones from The Model Company. True, they are 1:43 as well, but they detail up well, usually fit inside the cab of a Porter or a Shay, and as long as you don't stand them next to a Preiser counterpart, they suit me just fine. They are also reasonably priced - even by international air mail.

(Hey guys - I'm still searching for a 1948-1968 Willys Jeep Truck or Station Wagon in 1:43, 1:48 or 1:50 if anyone can assist.........) ;)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

rich19

A compelling reaso to modell the 19th century - automobiles didn't exist back then!!!!  ;D 

Plus: trains were shorter and cars smaller.

mabloodhound

There are some good 1:48 figures out there, you just have to look around.
I just bought some from Aspen http://www.theaspenmodelingcompany.com/OScaleFigures.html and they are very nice and to scale.
Also, check this reference thread http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28881 and there are more references here http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28890

8)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

NarrowMinded

This may sound a little funny but keep an eye out for the 25cent toy vending machines at supermarkets and malls. I have a couple little girls and they are always running to them. have found some have some 1:48 figures Some are Disney figures some are random firemen policemen etc. Some can be used as is some need to be repainted, a lot of them have finer detail then found at model shops

NM 

lvrr325

K-line and Lionel have "O" figures; the K-line ones are reasonably priced and don't appear to be out of scale, although I haven't measured. 

Cars are tough; some Matchbox Models Of Yesteryear may be useful, but they tended to be scaled to fit in the box.  Corgi had a line of 50's cars out, some were ok, some look terrible (the El Camino), that can still be found; AMT had a few older cars in their 1/43 snap line that were nice - a '36 Ford, a '48 Ford, a '57 Chevy.   It depends what era you need.  I've seen a reasonably priced 1/48 military kit for a Russian truck that is a clone of a '31 Ford AA, too.  That might be another source. 

ebtnut

I've seen in a Tamiya catalog a 1:48 kit for a 1940 Dodge sedan.  It is intended to be a staff car, but that really is just paint.  Haven't been able to locate one yet - may have to order on-line.

texdon

The most readily available vehicles are probably 1/50 scale stuff.  There is a fair amount of it available.  I have previously had good experiences buying diecast models from diecastdirect.com.  Check out their website.
Don

Anubis

Hey texdon,

Thanks for the info on diecastdirect.

They sure have a great range of vehicles, (including a couple of "near enough" Willys Jeeps - a truck and a wagon - that I have been searching for - in 1:43) but I think I will have to save up my pennies first!!

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

texdon

It is true that Diecast Direct is pretty high end.  I became a customer when I was collecting 1/50 NZG construction equipment, and those models are expensive.
Don

John Tumolo

Don't laugh at this, but several years ago I found a collection of "O" scale figures at my local dollar store,  called "Windham Heights" by Cobblestone Corners Collectibles.  They are by no means perfectly formed and painted figures, but as I needed a nice crowd of people to be hanging around a couple of railroad stations, these fit the bill.  Not great if they are right up front within close eyesight, but fine for backround figures.  At $1.00 for a pack of 4 or 5 figures, you can't go wrong.  They are dressed as turn of the LAST century figures, so they fit right into my layout.  I was always able to find them around the Christmas Holidays, so now is the time to start looking.  John Tumolo  Britcarfan@aol.com

Royce Wilson

Try McKenzine Iron & Steel Co.  P.O. Box 41475 ,Eugene, OREGON 97404-0363

He make beautiful 1:48 scale figures for old time and logging, he also has mules and horses and even harness for them. he also makes Fordson tractor kits.

This fellow was around in the early years of our hobby and makes some fine stuff. he has no web site bur a S.A.S.E will get you a illustrated catalog.
I encourage you to get these as they are nice and yes they are unpainted.

Royce

Bucksco

Now let's not forget about Bachmann O and HO Scenescapes figures!

We received the following letter recently here at the Bachmann offices:

Gentlepeople --

I just purchased a card of your new figures in HO -- Maintenance Workers, BAC 33106.  Your figures are every bit as good as "Brand P" from across the Atlantic, for about 75% the cost.  Also MUCH BETTER than those from Woodland Scenics, which have had proportion problems since day one.

I have noted that, beginning quite a while back, your products have steadily improved ever since the 2-8-0 came out.  Your reputation as a "train set" company has moved from that level to a purveyor of first-class merchandise.  Glad to see those figures have joined the progression.  I'll be looking for other figures from you which are appropriate for the scenes on my layout.

Congratulations, and keep 'em coming!

Best,

Bill McKean

Royce Wilson

I wish Bachmann would do some figures that don't seem so modern :-[
maybe some depression era stuff?

Royce