News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steel Alloy Track

Started by panniertankboy8751, October 16, 2010, 12:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panniertankboy8751

Anyone who is having trouble with their steel alloy track, here is a useful tip. Take a sanding block and run it along the rails and the dirt should come off. Just blow it off with some electronics cleasner and it should be good as new!  ;) Hope it helps.

ABC

Using abrasive surfaces on track is a bad idea and will actually cause it to get dirty quicker because the dirt will collect in the grooves that are made.

Doneldon

pantank-

ABC is exactly right.  An abrasive cleaning will go very fast and work great for a little while but it will be a mess in the long run.  The little scratches will fill up with dirt in no time and make things worse than ever.  If you want to clean your track with a minimum of time and effort, just use a cloth dampened with alcohol.  Then try using just a wee bit of conductive oil like razor oil.  It won't affect adhesion but it will slow down oxidation, extending the time before you'll have to clean again.  Please understand that I can't oversell the idea of using a tiny drop of oil.  More than that and it will hold dirt and gum up the works.  So, use very little. 

You know, I've never met a model rail who enjoyed cleaning track, or the layout itself for that matter, but it's part of the cost of doing business with model trains.

I'm working on an idea now to use Micro Mark's steel blackening solution on large scale steel rail.  I don't know if the surface will be conductive yet, but I'm hoping it will work for more than just the esthetics and rust prevention.
                                                                                                                                       -- D

richg

I have been using #2000 grit paper bonded to some wood blocks for stub ended sidings that the John Allen cleaning car does not get to. The grit is extremely fine. Almost like polishing the track.
The John Allen cleaning car drags a small piece of Masonite that you say; "sands" the track.
I have been experimenting with a old MDC Boxcab DCC equipped track cleaner with small pads of #2000 grit paper on the four track pads for the stub ended sidings.

I have been reading in a couple model railroad forums about "Gleaming" but have yet to try it.

Our club runs trains only once a week or once every two weeks and usually have no pickup issues and we run DCC/sound.
Your milage may vary.

Rich

Doneldon

Rich-

The 2000 grit should be okay.  As you mentioned, it isn't very far from polishing.  In fact, I used it on some brass furniture for a musket I built just before going to the polishing compounds.
                                                                                                                                  -- D

ABC

There is a big difference between saying you should use 2000 grit sand paper and any old sand paper like 400 grit.