News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hudson

Started by Daylight4449, October 20, 2010, 08:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

Hello, I am switching to modeling the New york Centeral. I need to know if any Hudsons are available in ho. i will need to fit a decoder in but no nyc layout is complete without a Hudson. Thanks!

Joe Satnik

Dear DL,

I can't seem to find any in the Bachmann on-line products section.  Perhaps too many other manufacturers making them / saturated market?

To see what other brands are out there, I often use auction websites as a reference:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=%28nyc%2C+%22new+york+central%22%29++hudson+ho&_sacat=0&_dmpt=Model_RR_Trains&_odkw=nyc+hudson+ho&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

I counted 8 different brands, a few being current.   

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

richg

There is one company that will be releasing a HO NYC version with DCC sound for about $400 to $450. I cannot mention the name here.
Do a Google search.

Rich

ABC

Rivarossi, MTH, AHM, American Flyer, Mantua, BLI, and IHC all have Hudsons of those the easiest to find will be the MTH and BLI. It is next to impossible to get a good quality hudson for less than $250 now, the only hudsons you can get for less are not very good running locos for the most part. The AHM hudsons would need to be remotored and have weight added and sell for around $100 although formerly they could be had for around $60, but nowadays they are all selling for $100+ due to demand.

ebtnut

The older AHM Hudsons were produced with the European style deep wheel flanges, which will only operate reliably on Code 100 track.  As a consequence of these oversize flanges, the drivers are undersized, as are most of the other wheels on the model.  Showing my age here, but one might consider mating an AHM superstructure to an old Mantua Pacific mechanism.  You may have to extend the rear of the frame to accommodate the four-wheel trailing truck. 

bobwrgt

The Rivarossi/AHM Hudson is currently being made by Hornby in England and are DCC ready with a can motor. The later run of Hudson's from Rivarossi also had a can motor and correct size wheel flanges. I know i own 5 of them. They have traction tires also and i pull about 23 freight cars with no problem.
Broadway Limited also has made several Hudson's. Some with sound and some witout. All very good engines. I have 2 of them.
Check Ebay for what is available. The Favorite Spot seller (Bachmann Dealer) also auctions off Hudson's.
I also have several IHC versions and they also are now Dcc ready but getting harder to find. They are now back in business and may make a new run.

Bob

lmackattack

For cheep get an IHC hudson. can be had for under $99 if you shop around. biggest issue is they have the deep flanges.

For higher end Broadway Limited made alot of them and can be had for under $200

pipefitter

Quote from: bobwrgt on October 20, 2010, 05:02:58 PM... I also have several IHC versions and they also are now Dcc ready but getting harder to find. They are now back in business and may make a new run...

IHC is back in business? If so, without Mehano? ???
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

ABC

Nope still out of business, you would have to find one new old stock, IHC is officially done.

bobwrgt

IHC  Check the web. Their site is up and running and if you call on the phone they will answer. It was reported weeks ago they were back.

Bob

ABC

How about that, I went to their website and checked the price Hudson's are there for $160, not sure about shipping though. But they have a lot less products then they did before, I could not find any diesels or electrics, save for the diesels in the carnival sets. Of the steam locos listed on the page, they only have about 1/3 of them. I guess it is better than nothing.

pipefitter

Quote from: bobwrgt on October 21, 2010, 07:24:49 AMIHC  Check the web. Their site is up and running ...

Well that's interesting :) I see they have some DCC loco's available as new items. Formerly they had only DCC ready. When I heard about the IHC/Mehano closings I bought several of their steamers and noted that of two similar locos, one's box said "Made in Slovenia" and the other had a sticker over that which matched the box's graphics and said "Made in China."

I bought one of their SD24's in B&O passenger paint. It is a beautiful, well detailed shell, but underneath is a cheap plastic frame and mechanism which is unpleasantly noisy and uncharacteristic of the quiet, smooth running models they had made previously. This is the only diesel they have been selling for quite awhile. Must have been an early sign of troubles at the company. I like it as it is a great looking model, and I got it for cheap. I'm hoping to put in a better motor some day.

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

Daylight4449

to be honest the ihc one was what i was considering, thanks for presenting options!