News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wiring for DCC control loop

Started by gatorowen, October 21, 2010, 05:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatorowen

New to the hobby and I plan on setting up a 4 X 7 layout with one reverse loop (see attached photo of layout). Plan on using auto reversing module with DCC. My question is:  Using EZ reversing track, how many pieces of track do I need in the loop to change the polarity? Will it require 1 piece, 2 pieces or will all the track in the loop have to be reversing track. ]

Nathan

It will work out best if the full loop is in the reversing section.  Most DCC auto-reverse units have the manuals on-line and that can help you.

Joe Satnik

Dear Gatorowen,

The reversing track is for the point to point trolley car layout.   It is not meant for reverse loops. 

The gapped track would help for reverse loops, but the same effect can be accomplished for less money with insulating rail joiners,

or cutting gaps in the rail yourself with a hobby knife then filling the gaps with bits of paper and epoxy, then trimming with an X-Acto knife. 

Nice first try on the layout.  Consider using AnyRail.com (free) which has a Bachmann HO EZ-Track library available. 

Your reverse loop will work if wired and gapped properly (both rails gapped just off the divergent routes of the two right-hand turnouts), however,

you will have to back up around the loop to go forward again.   A second loop in the opposite direction would cure that.   

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

gatorowen

Thanks Nathan and Joe for the information. As you can see by my layout, the loop is all curved track and I am assuming there is no problem using insulated rail joiners on curved track. I went to Bachmann's catalog and noticed that the insulated gap track only comes in 9" straight which would not do me any good with my layout.

Nathan

There are two options you might look at.  One is to buy some insulated rail joiners and replace the ones at the ends of the loop.  The second is to cut the rail on both sides of the two end curved pieces.  If you do you can 'fill' the gaps with some glue to keep the track 'smooth'.

Doneldon

gator-

You want a DCC reversing module, not a reversing track.

-- D

gatorowen

I'm assuming gapping the track will be the way to go. Can you use a dremel tool for cutting into the track? What kind of glue would be best to use and how do you keep the glue in place to mold with the track until it dries?

OldTimer

I cut a small piece of sheet styrene to fill most of the gap, then add some gap-filling ACC to take care of the rest.  When the ACC dries, I use an Exacto to trim the excess styrene to the shape of the rail.  When the track is painted, the gap disappears.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

Keusink

I used Oldtimer's method on two reverse loops recently. By the way, oldtimer, they work perfectly with the AR-1 reversing module, so thank you.

Now I have a new problem. Take a look at the general discussion board. I got the set up and running yesterday after nine months of labor, but have hit a brick wall in one respect.

Chris

gatorowen

Thanks OldTimer, I will give it a shot!