News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Steam Locos

Started by rookie, October 21, 2010, 04:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4-8-4unionpacific

I also have a question.Whats the the cheapest Shay or articulated logger I can buy?Im low on money.

4-8-4unionpacific

Does anyone know what the cheapest articulated logger or shay(preferably a three truck)is.I'm tight on money so I'm on a quest.

simkon

Quote from: 4-8-4unionpacific on December 04, 2010, 01:58:24 PM
I also have a question.Whats the the cheapest Shay or articulated logger I can buy?Im low on money.
The cheapest shay currently being produced is the Bachmann that has sound & DCC with an MSRP of $445. The cheapest articulated logging locomotive is the Mantua 2-6-6-2 at $170. On the internet the Mantua 2-6-6-2 can be purchased for around $140 plus shipping. The Bachmann shay can be found on the internet for around $250 plus the cost of shipping. So you would need at least $150 to buy a new 2-6-6-2 logging locomotive.

4-8-4unionpacific

What aout unpowerd shay kits.Iv seen some on ebay for 30 dollars and thought it would be easier to buy it and then the motors.Would it b cheaper?

simkon

Quote from: 4-8-4unionpacific on December 12, 2010, 12:12:07 PM
What aout unpowerd shay kits.Iv seen some on ebay for 30 dollars and thought it would be easier to buy it and then the motors.Would it b cheaper?
I would not do that unless you are very talented and skillful individual, because Shays have many moving parts and are a lot different from a regular steam loco. If you could not do it yourself it would be a lot more expensive. Basically your only options are buy the shay for about $250 or the 2-6-6-2 for about $150. Unless you just want the shay to be non-powered and just for display.