Update sound on a Union Pacific #8068 SD90

Started by jblumhorst, October 15, 2010, 06:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblumhorst

I bought a used Williams SD90, Union Pacific #8068 recently. It's a really workhorse and my son loves it.  Can anyone tell me how old it is? 

And what options do I have for upgrading the sound on it?  It has only a lousy sounding horn with no bell or other sounds. We're running it with an MTH Z750

Thanks in advance!

Joe's Mom

GTBob

Hi Joe's Mom---

You can purchase a William's Tru-Blast II horn/bell kit---item # 00245 ($43.95 from William's).  The horn & bell give, IMO, very good realistic sounds.  It's an EZ install for someone even w/ minimal skills.  

Can't help you on the age of your son's SD-90.  It's probably pre Bachman since the cab number is different than the current WbB SD-90.

Good luck--I'm sure your son will enjoy this loco for years to come :).

Regards,

GTBob
"If a man does his best, what else is there!"--General George S. Patton Jr.

DominicMazoch

I am having some sound issues with W/WBB engines with the Z750.  I don't know if:

1.  Power from transformer?
2.  The Rail King track.  the center rail has a coat of paint on it, and the third rail shoes spark on it.  It might be producing "DC", and making the odd sounds.  My SD90, Train Master, and GG1 all have issues on this combo.

I don't have any issues with the above with TMCC Conv. using a TPC-300.

phillyreading

Hello jblumhorst;

Taking an educated guess I will venture to say that the engine is about 10 years old, maybe older, since it only has a horn unit in it.
I have a 7 to 8 year old GP-9 that has the True Blast-2 horn unit installed from Williams(before Bachmann).

To install the new True Blast-2 horn, you must remove the old horn unit! Then you mount the new speaker in it's place and hook-up two wires, very easy if you have a small knowledge of mechanics.
There is no upgrade other than to replace the old unit.

Lee F.

phillyreading

Quote from: DominicMazoch on October 16, 2010, 11:15:46 PM

I am having some sound issues with W/WBB engines with the Z750.  I don't know if:

1.  Power from transformer?
2.  The Rail King track.  the center rail has a coat of paint on it, and the third rail shoes spark on it.  It might be producing "DC", and making the odd sounds.  My SD90, Train Master, and GG1 all have issues on this combo.

I don't have any issues with the above with TMCC Conv. using a TPC-300.

Dominic,

Try using a differant brand of track, like Lionel or Atlas tubular, as I have heard of problems with the MTH brand of track(Realtrax).

Lee F.

phillyreading

I use Gargraves Phantom Rail track, it has the center rail darkened, and is not giving me any problems. So I doubt that the darkened center rail is the problem, but it might be with MTH Realtrax. The only time I have a problem is when my track gets very dirty and then the whistle will sound in one of my steam engines without the whistle button being pushed.
If the MTH track is giving you problems, one of two things could be wrong with it; first the track to track connection is loose, and if it is the type of track(Realtrax) without regular track pins the little metal tabs between the two tracks(similar to H.O. race car track) are too far apart.

Lee F.