Lionel Electric Railroad Upgrades for Wiliams by Bachmann Locos

Started by Dannyboy, October 22, 2010, 09:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannyboy

With the latest round of high prices from Lionel, and the fact that I'm already running a Bachmann On30 segment on my railroad, I'm considering the possibility of using the ERR TMCC upgrades on the Williams by Bachmann SD90 engines. I model the NS and it's heritage lines and Bachmann seems to have a lot of NS stock available for purchase at reasonable prices compared to Lionel. The O scale portion of my railroad is all Lionel Legacy or TMCC at this point.

Has anyone ever installed a Electric Railroad TMCC upgrade [and railsounds] in a Bachmann O scale loco?

Len

Yes. If you have reasonable mechanical and soldering skills it's not all that hard to do. Depending on the loco you may have to drill some mounting holes, and there will be some desoldering/soldering involved. If you don't like the idea of working directly on the motor power lugs, you can snip the WBB plug off the original motor harness and splice the ERR motor, power, and ground leads to them. Don't forget to slip some heat shrink tubing on the wires before you start soldering everything.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.