News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Emily's Strength

Started by thomasforever1, October 23, 2010, 01:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasforever1

Dear Bachmann,

Emily's strength can only pull one express coach or two trucks and I can't make her pull at least ten trucks and a brakevan or  four express coaches can you please make her a little stronger at least 15 trucks or seven coaches

??? ???  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\  ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Stevelewis

Unfortunately  'Single Wheelers'*   irrespective  of  whether  they  are in  the  regular  00/H0 model  railway  ranges  or Thomas range, are not  very  powerful,  simply  because  they only  have  the   2 powered  wheels.

Many years  ago  in the UK  when  the  first  single  wheelers  appeared on  the  market ( 1960s!!)  they  were  given Magnadesion!  which meant  they  had magnets  set close  to  the  driven  wheels in the  frame of the loco which aided  the traction power a little ( but not  much)   2 coaches  was  the maximum load!!

* single wheelers is a term  used for this loco type  here in the  UK  I am not sure if it is used in the USA?
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

ThomasFan247

Quote from: Stevelewis on October 23, 2010, 01:46:26 PM
Unfortunately  'Single Wheelers'*   irrespective  of  whether  they  are in  the  regular  00/H0 model  railway  ranges  or Thomas range, are not  very  powerful,  simply  because  they only  have  the   2 powered  wheels.

Many years  ago  in the UK  when  the  first  single  wheelers  appeared on  the  market ( 1960s!!)  they  were  given Magnadesion!  which meant  they  had magnets  set close  to  the  driven  wheels in the  frame of the loco which aided  the traction power a little ( but not  much)   2 coaches  was  the maximum load!!

* single wheelers is a term  used for this loco type  here in the  UK  I am not sure if it is used in the USA?
Bachmann Emily has 4 drive wheels (the main drivers + 2nd set of pony wheels from the front), but she still can pull, that's for sure. Maybe lead weights can be of service?

PerfectPercy

Quote from: thomasforever1 on October 23, 2010, 01:24:48 PM
Dear Bachmann,

Emily's strength can only pull one express coach or two trucks and I can't make her pull at least ten trucks and a brakevan or  four express coaches can you please make her a little stronger at least 15 trucks or seven coaches

A) We've been through this, it is highly doubted that Bachmann will change a model and reproduce it just because a lack of weight.

B) As she is a single wheeled model, that seems about right. I think she can pull more than 2 trucks ( ::)) because I can get her to pull 6. I also think that it is slightly possible to get her to haul 2 express coaches. But she really has her coaches, so I would say she could pull 3 of them at an average.

In the end you could take Emily apart with a screwdriver and toss some weights inside. Be sure to put them above the powered drive wheels. Even a little makes a good difference. That's how I solved my James problem with weights (3 express coaches up a 3% grade!!! ( :P ;D)).

Cheers

Stevelewis

Re  the  POWERED  Wheels,  Apologies for  my  previous   I was  judging  the  configuration  and  my  long  ago  experience  of  single  wheelers  ( Lord of  the  Isles  & Caledonian 123)  from  many  years  back in  the  UK!!

Looks  like  some  heavy  weights  would  be the  answer  to  the  adhesion  problem,  we  use SEA Fishing  weights over  here  to  add  weight  to  locos  & rolling  stock!
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

shining time

depends if you run her on a grade because she barley can pull her two coaches up mine , but if flat no problem
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

thomasforever1

Quote from: PerfectPercy on October 24, 2010, 03:52:48 AM
Quote from: thomasforever1 on October 23, 2010, 01:24:48 PM
Dear Bachmann,

A) We've been through this, it is highly doubted that Bachmann will change a model and reproduce it just because a lack of weight.

B) As she is a single wheeled model, that seems about right. I think she can pull more than 2 trucks ( ::)) because I can get her to pull 6. I also think that it is slightly possible to get her to haul 2 express coaches. But she really has her coaches, so I would say she could pull 3 of them at an average.

In the end you could take Emily apart with a screwdriver and toss some weights inside. Be sure to put them above the powered drive wheels. Even a little makes a good difference. That's how I solved my James problem with weights (3 express coaches up a 3% grade!!! ( :P ;D)).

Cheers
my grade is 10%

thomasj219

Please stop digging up topics if you have nothing constructive to add. Or if they are more than 3 Months old.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

ThomasFan247

Quote from: thomasj219 on November 01, 2010, 08:04:47 PM
Please stop digging up topics if you have nothing constructive to add. Or if they are more than 3 Months old.
It hasn't even been a week since someone posted. That's not 3 months, and it's not digging up topics.

thomasj219

Its been a week and all im saying is that he has a habit of doing this and the post was unnecessary
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

PerfectPercy

Quote from: thomasj219 on November 01, 2010, 10:45:17 PM
Its been a week and all im saying is that he has a habit of doing this and the post was unnecessary

It was just a comeback to what I said. Nothing really wrong with that.

Quote from: thomasforever1 on November 01, 2010, 06:10:59 PM
my grade is 10%

:o You shouldn't ever even think of having a grade that step. That means per 100 inches, you go up 10 inches! (Rise divided by Run) I would only think that you need to go up 3 inches at an average and 96 inches is 8 feet. You shouldn't need to go anywhere longer or higher. This is just about what my layout is as a matter of fact. Just under 3% in this case.

Cheers

PerfectPercy

jettrainfan

10%? People use a helix for that stuff!  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

PerfectPercy

Quote from: jettrainfan on November 06, 2010, 05:34:34 PM
10%? People use a helix for that stuff!  ;D

Yeah, I would think so. That would be crazy. I thought 3% was a lot.