News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K27 Has it been a Success?

Started by Matt M, October 20, 2010, 04:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt M

I was wondering Bachmann, whether from the organisation's point of view the K27 has thus far been a success.

I have one K27 and am interested in purchasing at least one if not two more (i.e. I am happy with my purchase). I am also interested in more D&RGW or RGS locomotives and if the loco has been a success there is at least a chance that there will be more on the way - perhaps a C19 or a K28 or K36.  I do not have the  finances to purchase the alternate 1:20.3 Rio Grande locos not produced by Bachmann.

the Bach-man

Dear Matt,
I believe the K-27 is a milestone in the mass-produced locomotive market, and it's done very well.
I'm sure we'll see more new locos down the line.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

armorsmith

I am sure it requires one to define success.

If sales numbers are the only criteria, then I would say this loco has been a success. If you read the other forums available, I would have to say a mixed review. I own the 464 and am relatively pleased at the product relative to price point. Now that I have owned it awhile, I do agree with others that the gearing is a bit too high, but other than that it is a very serviceable locomotive.

As for their producing other D&RGW prototypes, I would not hold my breath. Unfortunately, there is a limited market place for our size range. Compound that with an economy that is in the toilet, and I don't foresee any duplicate motive power offerings being produced by any of the major manufacturers. It has been alleged that one of the manufacturers is going into a holding pattern on new product until the market improves.

Good luck!

Bob C.

bdelmo

How about a K-28 variation for White Pass & Yukon next?

glennk28

That would be an easy variation--then how about Oahu Railway 60-70-80-90?.  They were built to the K-28 plans. 

something I have noticed by its absence are the names we used to see for the various locos--"Annie", Connie", etc.   I could suggest "Kay" or "Mike" for the K-27, "Artie" for the 2-6-6-2T.

Glenn Joesten

Matt M

A K28 would offer a range of options and would definitely be on my list. A White Pass and Yukon version I suspect would probably also be a reasonable seller in its own right although I would want mine in D&RGW colours.

Jon D. Miller

Don't know how you want to define success.

I've had a K-27 since they were first introduced.  Not withstanding all the "dust up" from some folks my K-27 has been flawless.  Once the counter weight issue was resolved the K-27 has delivered the "goods" as expected.  Great locomotive.

One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Carl Linkenhoker

I HAVE ENJOYED MY K-27 VERY MUCH EVEN THOUGH I HAVE HAD A FEW PROBLEMS WITH IT. i WOULD LIKE TO FIND A NEW OR USABLE PB501 BOARB FOR THE TENDER . i HAVE RUINED IT TRYING TO GET THE SOUND SYNC WORKING AND THE BOARD HAS HAD IT. Igor A WHOLE NEW TENDER AND GOT EVERYTHING WORKING BUT i NEED TO GET A NEW BOARD. Can ANYONE HELP ME?
                                                                                  thanks, Carl