Will East Broad Top Train Sets Be Produced Again?

Started by CentralValley1871, October 23, 2010, 07:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralValley1871

Greetings,
I've just gotten into large scale model trains and am interested
in modeling the East Broad Top narrow gauge railroad.  I was told that
Bachmann once produced large scale East Broad Top train sets. 
Does Bachmann intend to make these available again?
How many different models of EBT's steam locos have been produced? 
Thanks!  Eric

Loco Bill

Eric,

Welcome to the G Scale Hobby!!!

Bachmann first made the EBT Set in 1996 as a part of their Golden Classics Series of sets.  It was the sixth set in the series.  There were only 3000 of these sets made in a single run.  The golden Classics series sets were never listed in the catalog, and once they were gone that was it.  The only locomotive made by Bachmann was the 4-6-0 Big Hauler #10 in 1996 and the Anniversary 4-6-0 in 2002. 

The list below has all of the EBT lettered items in G Scale so far.  All of them are 1:22.5 except for the 2 Bay hopper which is 1;20.3. The early passenger cars had battery powered lighting  and the later passenger cars have track powered lighting and metal handrails.  The prices listed were the original MSRP prices.

The EBT items seem to be in high demand and do not often show up on EBAy, but Ebay is still your best bet if trying to aquire Bachmann EBT items. 

Since I do not work for Bachmann and I am not in the know, I cannot say if they will do any more EBT.  If they do I'm betting that they will be well received!!!

90085   EBT   Set   1996   ^ Set   East Broad Top   P   .
   GC 3000 Made   $300.00    
81093   EBT   10   2002   ~ Loco   4-6-0, 10th aniv, East Broad Top Ver 5   P      W   $300.00    
91230   EBT   10   1996   ~ Loco   4-6-0, East Broad Top   p         $140.00    Set 90085
93329   EBT      2007   Box Car               $60.00    
93827   EBT   27   2002   Caboose   8 whl, EBT         box car red   $70.00    
93827   EBT   28   1996   Caboose   8 whl, EBT         caboose red   $70.00    93830?
88997   EBT   None    2006   Hopper   2-Bay East Broad Top   N   A   Fn3 Finescale   $195    Modeler adds numbers
98230   EBT   849   1991   Hopper   3 bay, EBT vulcan trucks   P          $40.00    
89693   EBT   19   2003   P Baggage   East Broad Top   P      Not Lighted   $77.00    Metal Railings
89692   EBT   18   2003   P Combine   East Broad Top   P      Track Power Lights   $77.00    Metal Railings
89691   EBT   10   2003   P-Coach   East Broad Top   P      Track Power Lights   $77.00    Metal Railings
89695   EBT   8   2007   P-Coach   East Broad Top          Track Power Lights   $78.00    Metal Railings
None   EBT   10   1996   P-Coach   East Broad Top   P      Battery Lights   Set Car    Only in set 90085
89694   EBT   20   2003   P-Obs   East Broad Top  "Orbisonia"   P      Track Power Lights   $88.00    Metal Railings
None   EBT   20   1996   P-Obs   East Broad Top "Orbisonia"   P      Battery Lights   Set Car    Only in set 90086

Enjoy your new hobby!!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Loco Bill

Forgot to mention that the early passenger cars have plastic wheels while the later passenger cars hav metal wheels.  All freight equipment made after 2000 have metal wheeels while earlier cars have plastic wheels.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Wade Colyer

Hi Eric:

Aristocraft has the Delton dies and molds for the freight cars in 1:24 and some years ago did a series of E.B.T. cars in their Classics series. They are no longer in the catalog but show up on EBAY and train meets. I bought some at the ECLSTS at York, PA  several years ago from Nicholas Smith. They were selling at that time 3 for $100. They look OK size wise with the Bachmann cars. By all means, get the E.B.T. Annie and pick up the other cars as it is a much better engine. They show up on EBAY often.

Wade

Wade Colyer

Hi Bill:

I was at the E.B.T. for the fall special the other weekend and #15 was running, the only one left in operational condition. It ran a special with 14 cars Saturday. I was cleaning out my desk today (much needed) and found some 35mm slides my mother took of me and my uncle Drew in the cab of #15 in 1960 when the railroad opened back up. He was the engineer that day and I was all of 15 years old. Of course I had a free cab ride. I realised that I'd known #15 longer than my wife Barb. I don't think she's jealous-HA HA.

Wade

jsmvmd

Dear Wade,

Glad to hear you made the Fall Spectacular.  I got there 1700 for dinner and to ride the first evening train, which departed about 2000 hours.  Missed the 14 car train but heard about it.  Earlier Sat, or perhaps Fri, my friend told me they hookup up 4 air horns from No.'s 14 through 18 and had a blow-off, like in the old days.  Missed that one, too !  The evening ride in the flat car was glorious, warm, cinders, stars, etc.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Kevin Strong

They did blow multiple whistles during the annual noon whistle salute. They tapped a steam line off of #15, and blew the whistles of #12 (?), #15, #16, and standard gauge #3. I didn't take the dinner train (I had wanted to, but never bought the ticket, then ended up meeting friends from NY who had driven down for the day anyway. While the night trains were out on the line, I potted around the yards taking some time exposures. I need to upload them at some point in time...

Oh, forget about the train sets (though they would be cool), bring on the M-1!

Later,

K

jsmvmd

Dear Kevin and Wade,

Forgot to mention the conductor on the first evening train Saturday said the M-1 had a magneto problem and had to be pushed in by the 14 car train earlier.  There was some wheel slip backing into the wye, he said.  Last year we had to be pulled in by the M-1 when there developed low brake pressure.  Had a very nice time, nice weather.

Best Wishes,

Jack

CentralValley1871

Thanks for all the info, Wade & Loco Bill!
Really appreciate it.  I'll be on the lookout
for previous EBT releases and continue to hope
that someone produces or reissues some
EBT cars & locos in G.

Eric