News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turnout help for DC! Shinora to Peco

Started by robbs, October 27, 2010, 12:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbs

I recently picked up a bunch of Walthers Shinora turnouts for the expansion of my layout and have a question pertaining to their use on a DC system. I already have Peco insulfrog turnouts installed and the one thing I like about those the most is the fact that the electrical current will only go to the track for which the points are connected to. Now is it possible to modify the Shinora turnouts in the same fashion so I can use the turnout itself as a quick alternative to power a siding from the main line?

Doneldon

robbs-

Sure.  Just use a relay and some points to automatically direct your power.

-- D

Jim Banner

UPDATED

The DCC friendly Shinohara turnouts sold by Walthers today are all routes powered with an isolated frog.  You can use them as Donaldon suggests or use a switch machine with power routing contacts built in, such as the Tortoise.

You may also run into used Shinohara turnouts (eBay, swap meets, etc.)  These may be the older style that were power routing but were not so DCC friendly.  The differences between these and the newer Walthers Shinohara turnouts are detailled on Allan Gartner's DCC website at
http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_walthers.htm

Jim

This post rewritten based on advice from an old friend.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

robbs

Thanks Don and Jim! That Allan site is perfect, exactly what I was looking for!