Bachmann HO 50201 SP Daylight GS4 4-8-4 DCC Equipped

Started by bobbyboe, October 26, 2010, 08:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbyboe

Hi I just purchased the Bachmann 50201 SP Daylight and tried to run it on my layout. They head light comes on but the train doesnt move. I hear a humming sound coming from the loco when I turn up the voltage but still no movement. I am using a Digitrax super chief DCC system. Is there anyone that could help me out and tell me if Im doing something wrong or if there is something else I need to do. Thanks BOB

jonathan

Bob,

I have only recently dabbled with DCC, but I recognize your symptoms.  We have a Digitrax system on our club layout.

Sounds like you have a loco address issue, or perhaps your CVs are no longer in the factory default settings.

If you purchased your loco slightly 'used' there's a good chance the loco's address has been changed.  That seems to be a recurring theme when members bring a new loco to the layout.  Do you have a programming track with a 1000 ohm resistor across the rails?  On our club layout, when other locos are not being run, but on live track, they will sit there with headlights on, even when not addressed... I don't know why, yet. 

Is there a way you can test this loco on a standard DC track, just to make sure everything is mechanically in order? If new, the dual mode decoder should allow you to run this test.

This may sound silly, but if you purchased it new, are you sure you removed all the little protective foam pieces from around the wheels?  It happens, trust me.

Again, I'm new to the dark side, so forgive my ignorance.  This seems like a fairly common theme with new DCC locos.

Regards,

Jonathan

bobbyboe

Thanks for your input. This is a brand new loco and we did try it in DC as well. Nothing!! We tried to run it on a club track as you did. For the life of me I cant figure it out either. We have run other Bachmann locos on the track with no problems. No info is foolish. We did check to make sure no items were holding up the wheels. Im at a loss

jonathan

Well at least you seem to have eliminated an electrical problem as an issue.

OK, this is a shot in the dark, but...

A few months ago, I received a new Spectrum steamer that would not work right out of the box.

I discovered my loco was either dropped or squeezed in shipping.  The cylinder rod had been pushed out of the hole in the cylinder and was up against the cylinder, preventing it from running.  The crosshead was no longer in the crosshead guide as well.  Fortunately, I was able to pop everything back into place, and it ran fine after that.  The problem was not apparent until I looked closely at the drive mechanism.

Like you, there was a hum and a light, but no movement. 

Without going into how I know this...  It is also possible one of the bronze pick up brushes is stuck between one of the driver wheels.  They are delicate, and it is easy for a brush to be bent out of position and into a spoke.  Doubt this is your problem as the loco would probably move a little bit in this case.

Just brainstormin'

Regards,

Jonathan

bobbyboe

Thanks I will give it a better look and let you know how it does. BOB

bobwrgt

You might have to remove the shell to see the drive motor and worn gear. The motor could be turning but not the gear on the shaft. The gear could also be turning but not making contact with the next gear to the wheels. Let,s hope you don't have a gear with a broken tooth in the drive train.
It is also possible the front of the motor is not seated correctly in the frame so that the worn gear isn't making contact with the next gear.

Bob