News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Appraise HO trains

Started by Revelation, October 25, 2010, 11:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revelation

I have a train set in mint condition, still in the boxes, that I would like to sell.  I'm looking for a reasonable price to sell the set.
I have a GE U36B Diesel Union Pacific Locomotive, Coil car, Bale car, 3-dome tank car, Coal car, and a Union Pacific wide vision caboose.  I also have three boxes of track and a box of street poles, and signs.  I also have the power pack.  Everything is in original boxes.  Any feed back is appreciated.  I think the set is about 32-35 years old.

Jim Banner

Unlike fine wine, train sets do not improve with age.  They are more like used cars - when something new and better comes along, they get moved to the back of the lot.  But also like used cars, the really good ones are still in demand.  A Rolls Royce is still a Rolls Royce no matter how old, and a Kato is still a Kato, even if it is 35 years old.

So - two pieces of advice.  Find out what kind of train you are trying to sell, both the brand and the model number.  Then try to sell it on a website that caters to selling trains.  This website does not, and in fact your post will probably be deleted quite quickly.

Aw, heck, for the same price, I'll throw in a third piece of advice - when you say a train set is in mint condition, be sure that it really is.  Check that nothing is missing - no steps broken off, no horns half missing, no bent wheels, and no couplers that stick.  If you are not familiar with model trains, get some help from someone who is.  Otherwise you can lose your shirt on mailing costs if your customer expects a mint train set and gets one with obvious defects or signs of play wear.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

darryl1936

Most of these websites don't mind if you ask about selling stuff but stay away from giving too much details as they don't want this to be a selling site. That's in the rules that most don't bother to read !

Put what you want to sell on eBay and you will find the value providing you make the starting price fairly low.  Then there is Craig's list which is free.  Good luck....

TOF in Las Vegas

bobwrgt

Both Trainboard and Modelrairoadforums have sections devoted to selling, trading or want to buy trains.

Bob

glennk28

Over the years  a friend and I helped dispose of many "collections" (accumulations)--Our generzal rule was to see what similar items were listed at in the mail-order ads in MR and RMC--and cut it in half.  We are approaching the "train set season"  when the low-end sets sell better.  gj