Bachmann Big Haulers: Swannee River Special G Scale

Started by roseoday, October 26, 2010, 09:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roseoday

I need your help to suggest appropriate transformer.
Please know that I am a great grandmother (of girls) :o and I am now the proud owner of this train that does not run because I love auctions and I couldn't resist such a beautiful addition to my "Christmas" decor this year. My children were girls and grandsons were not interested in trains. SAD, but true.  After hours of searching by first finding out the scale and finding out how much I did NOT know I have found you. The train was not in a box hence no help as to what was supposed to be included. ...but the pieces I do have are: ENGINE #8254, the matching coal car also #8254, 2 passenger cars equipped with lights that do not work and 20 pieces of track that do go together and makes a nice oval track. I have read about the lighting in your forum and I am pretty confident I can take the cars apart and fix the lighting...and yes I have discovered all of the battery compartments that require a 9V battery and new batteries did not make any of the lights come on. I think the help I need MOST from you folks is what transformer do I need for this beautiful train. Most likely I will not add any cars now but in the future if I find an irresistible caboose I will add that. Thanks for any help you can give me....We have young at heart great grandmothers in the South.

Loco Bill

Almost any transformer that is rated 1 amp and 18 volts will do.  Best to go to your local hobby shop and see what they have. 

Enjoy your new train!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Sleeping Bear

Hi Rose ,sorry about the boys ....but go girls, I'll try to help...If the engine is truly Bachmann then you have several options. Bachmann sells a "large scale power pack and speed control" that can be gotten most places that sell trains including this sight. Another option is to watch eBay as there is almost always someone selling the track and transformer out of a new starter set, sometimes just the transformerand or track connection clip. The newer Bachmann units seem to be silver and square as the older ones were rectangular and brown with a red control knob. A compeditor sells a "light" version of their hands free set up but even it tends to get pricey. If you intend to watch eBay ...watch the price as it can go too high really quickly, shop around a little, check Train world, they sell all Bushman's stuff and Bachmann has directed me there them selves.  This way you have the option of buying new and being done with it or chasing the deal on eBay. Either way you'll have an idea what a good price is......... Hope this was at least a little helpful......S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Sleeping Bear

It seems that Bill beat me to it, and in a lot fewer words....sooo..... What he said ;D
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Joe Satnik

Dear Rose,

Check for a small slide switch under each passenger car near its battery box.  (It's unlikely that all your incandescent lamps are out.) 

Fresh batteries and you should be good to go, though the incandescent lamps are power hungry.   

I have a large scale power pack, wire and lock-on if you are interested.

Contact me through the board's personal message system, or e-mail me at joebarb"AT"wwt"DOT"net   

I think board member on30gn15 would give a reference. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

John Ramsden

Rose:

I don't check these message boards often, but your note caught my eye.

If you have not resolved the transformer (power pak) problem, I would be happy to send you one, with the necessary track connector and wire.

Send an email, off this forum, to jbram@yahoo.com with the info I need to send it.

John
John

Doneldon

Rose-

You can certainly find the Bachmann power pack on ebay or from an online seller for much less than the $62 list price.  A good place to start on ebay is    thefavoritespot   which is a factory-licensed store where the merchandise is covered by Bachmann's excellent warranty.
                                                                                                           -- D