News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Unlettered 2-10-0 headlight location

Started by dmolavi, October 26, 2010, 12:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmolavi

I'm seeing conflicting images on the internet on this...Basically, I want to model the Strasburg (ex Great Western Railway) #90, a 2-10-0.  The (stock) images at this site, and others, show the headlight as being on the front of the boiler; while I've seen other images of the model on other sites (like this ebay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/Bachamnn-Spectrum-2-10-0-Decapod-DCC-sound-N-I-B-/300485169215?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item45f64fd03f ) that show it as being on top of the boiler, as SRR 90 has it.

Which is the true placement of the headlight on this model (Bachmann p/n 84301)?

Thomas1911

My undecorated 2-10-0 came with all the extra parts to assemble any of the available roadnames offered by Bachmann.  It came with two sets of tender truck frames, two smokebox fronts, I think 4 different headlights (2 high, 2 low), 4 different backup lights, two bells, and the doghouse.

dmolavi

ebtnut

Just as a matter of prototype correctness, the Bachmann model is the "Russian" Decapod, so-named because they were being built for Imperial Russia.  When the revolution came and the czar deposed, there were a couple hundred of these locos still state-side.  The USRA comandeered them and distributed them to many US railroad as part of the WWI war effort. 

The GW/Strasburg No. 90 is a "stock" Baldwin decapod from the 1920's and is a considerably larger loco than the Russians.  Some similar locos ran on the Gainesville Midland RR in Georgia into the late 1950's or early '60's. 

rogertra

There is no "true" location of the headlight on the Spectrum 2-10-0.

The headlight, like all other equipment on a locomotive will be placed where the builder's customer either specs it to be or where the owning railroad's shop forces decided it should be.

The placement of such things as bells and headlights, airpumps etc., etc., could vary in the life of the loco as even local shop forces would sometimes replace such items in a new position after the loco had been shopped.

If you are modelling a specific loco then use photos of that loco to determine where such details are placed.

dmolavi

Quote from: ebtnut on October 26, 2010, 03:43:13 PM
Just as a matter of prototype correctness, the Bachmann model is the "Russian" Decapod, so-named because they were being built for Imperial Russia.  When the revolution came and the czar deposed, there were a couple hundred of these locos still state-side.  The USRA comandeered them and distributed them to many US railroad as part of the WWI war effort. 

The GW/Strasburg No. 90 is a "stock" Baldwin decapod from the 1920's and is a considerably larger loco than the Russians.  Some similar locos ran on the Gainesville Midland RR in Georgia into the late 1950's or early '60's. 

I've found this out in my own research, however I've yet to find a stock Baldwin 2-10-0 that I can use.  Besides, this one will pass the 2ft rule for me.  If you know of any stock Baldwin's, please let me know.  Also, who is a good supplier of the builder plates, etc?

ebtnut

Kemtron/PSC once made photo-etched brass builder's plates.  Not sure of current availability.  Someone once imported the Baldwin decapod in brass many years ago.  Might have been Empire Midland.  You could look it up in the Brown Book. 

richg

The "True" position is what you see at the Strasburg site.
The below site I found in a search night help you. Contact them.

http://www.trainweb.org/smrc/index.html

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: richg on October 27, 2010, 02:17:13 PM
The "True" position is what you see at the Strasburg site.
The below site I found in a search night help you. Contact them.

http://www.trainweb.org/smrc/index.html

Rich

Rich.

In the case of Great Western Railway 2-10-0 No. 90, you are indeed correct that the true position of the headlight is as shown in the following link: -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89917909@N00/2873393348

However, that is only the "true" position for No. 90 and not for all 2-10-0s as individual railways or their shop crews may decide to place it elsewhere.

richg

I clearly meant the Strasburg Railroad. That was the road mentioned in his question.
I am very aware of the diferrences between railroads.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: richg on October 27, 2010, 04:42:07 PM
I clearly meant the Strasburg Railroad. That was the road mentioned in his question.
I am very aware of the diferrences between railroads.

Rich

So he did.  DOH!