Difficulty posting after quotes

Started by rogertra, October 28, 2010, 12:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Recently, when I try to post a reply after quoting a previous message, I can only type so far and then my new text keeps dropping down below the text window, disappearing from view,  as though there is a limit on the number of lines of text you can post after a quote.

As you can guess, it makes it very difficult to type as I can't see what I'm typing.

This happened before some time ago and a fix was posted, which I've obviously forgotten.

Any help would be appreciated.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: rogertra on October 28, 2010, 12:45:10 AM
Recently, when I try to post a reply after quoting a previous message, I can only type so far and then my new text keeps dropping down below the text window, disappearing from view,  as though there is a limit on the number of lines of text you can post after a quote.

As you can guess, it makes it very difficult to type as I can't see what I'm typing.

This happened before some time ago and a fix was posted, which I've obviously forgotten.

This happened to me on another site, and it just happened to me here, too. Are you using Internet Explorer? At the top of your screen, look for a little box (or is it called a button?), right next to where the web address appears, with a little icon that looks like a sheet of paper torn in half, and click on it. This does something with "compatibility." It's all totally beyond my understanding--but it fixed the problem.

rogertra

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on October 28, 2010, 12:21:01 PM
Quote from: rogertra on October 28, 2010, 12:45:10 AM

This happened to me on another site, and it just happened to me here, too. Are you using Internet Explorer? At the top of your screen, look for a little box (or is it called a button?), right next to where the web address appears, with a little icon that looks like a sheet of paper torn in half, and click on it. This does something with "compatibility." It's all totally beyond my understanding--but it fixed the problem.

That seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Guess the actual problem is with the Bachmann site itself?

pipefitter

Quote from: rogertra on October 28, 2010, 02:36:12 PM... Thanks for your help.

Of the six sites I visit regularly outside of Bachmann, including the Atlas forum and Facebook, only one, FreeCycle (a Yahoo site) does not require the compatibility button. So it's more of an IE anomaly than an anomaly in all those websites. I'm running WinXP sp3 with IE8.

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

rogertra

Quote from: pipefitter on October 28, 2010, 03:30:58 PM
Quote from: rogertra on October 28, 2010, 02:36:12 PM... Thanks for your help.

Of the six sites I visit regularly outside of Bachmann, including the Atlas forum and Facebook, only one, FreeCycle (a Yahoo site) does not require the compatibility button. So it's more of an IE anomaly than an anomaly in all those websites. I'm running WinXP sp3 with IE8.

Robert

I also run IE8, Win XP SP3 and visit all the sites you do and Bachmann is the ONLY site that requires the compatibility button. :)

Go figure.

richg

That happens when I use my girlfriend's XP PC with IE.

I normally use FF at home on a Linux system and no issues like some have had.

Once in a while I use my Vista Basic PC that I configured to use FF and that issue does not happen.

Rich

Jim Banner

The only problem I ever have with Firefox running under Windows XP is the occasional disagreement over how some words should be spelled.  Even SeaMonkey, which is based on a pre-Firefox version of Mozilla, seems to do better than IE.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: rogertra on October 28, 2010, 02:36:12 PM
That seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. I'm such a techno-ignoramus that it's astonishing to me that I was actually able to give somebody computer advice!  :o

After all, I still run my trains on DC. ...  ;D

Firefox? SeaMonkey? Mozilla? Oi!  :o