News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann #6 Turnouts

Started by tomc, October 29, 2010, 05:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomc

I am considering using Bachmann #6 turnouts from the Snap Fit EZ Track for a new HO layout.  Will I be able to run any size engine with these turnouts?  What track from the Snap Fit EZ Track line will make the turn portion of the turnout return back to parallel with the straight portion?

tomc

jbsmith

Quote from: tomc on October 29, 2010, 05:22:52 PM
I am considering using Bachmann #6 turnouts from the Snap Fit EZ Track for a new HO layout.  Will I be able to run any size engine with these turnouts?  What track from the Snap Fit EZ Track line will make the turn portion of the turnout return back to parallel with the straight portion?

tomc

Q:Will I be able to run any size engine with these turnouts?
A: Yes

Q:What track from the Snap Fit EZ Track line will make the turn portion of the turnout return back to parallel with the straight portion?
A: Curves obviously! maybe a straight here and there.;D
What you will end up with is a reverse loop, so the loop portion should be electricly isolated from the main with
lets say plastic rail joiners,,and must be in have its own power,,usually done from a switch that can reverse the polarity of the track,,atlas makes these.

tomc

I'm aware that when using the Bachmann #5 turnout, a 1/2 length 22" radius curve
track will return the curve portion of the #5 turnout parallel with the straight portion.
Is there similarly one piece of track that will accomplish the same with the #6 turnout?

Joe Satnik

Dear Tomc,

The 10 degree (=1/3) 18"R curve (#44530) will bring the #6 divergent route back to parallel, however its short radius defeats the purpose of using a high numbered turnout, which has an extremely long RCR "Radius of the Closure Rail".  The 1/3 curve essentially brings your layout's minimum radius all the way back down to 18"R.

Cutting a longer radius curve, or using code 100 flex-track, cork and ballast, are your other alternatives.

Dear All,

Parallel-lification (new word?) lesson:

The RCR is the sharpest curve part of a numbered turnout.  Not to be confused with the radius of a (uniformly) curved turnout.   

If a new numbered turnout is designed, there needs to be a curve (with the correct number of degrees) to turn the divergent route back to parallel, that has a radius somewhere near the turnout's RCR (or the highest track radius available in the system if less than the RCR). 

In other words, you don't want to reduce your layout's minimum radius. 

The RCR of a number 6 turnout is around 43" radius.

See line 11:  http://nmra.org/standards/sandrp/rp12_3.html

In my opinion, that "back to parallel" curve should be included with the turnout, though just having it available for separate purchase would be OK.   

Perhaps it could be a fractional section of the next higher up radius curve to be released, or a fractional section of the present longest radius curve available?   

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jbsmith

looks like i misinterpreted the 2nd Q :-[

Joe S is probably right about bringing the turn out back to run parallel .

back to Q1,,,the smallest locos i  currently have are 2-6-2s and they can handle going through the unpowered frog without any problems. 

Not sure about even smaller locos like 4 axle switchers.

tomc

Thank you to everyone for your input.  This has been very helpful.
I too believe the partial curve track that returns a turnout to parallel
with the straight portion should be included with the turnout package.
At the very least, the track which accomplishes this task should be made
and identified in the catalogue.

TomC