Remove main driving wheels 4-6-0 late (5th version)

Started by Model Tug, October 30, 2010, 07:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Tug

I need to pull the main driving wheels on my 4-6-0 (5th) version
One wheel is wobbly. I do not see any hub caps to remove to access the screws in the end of the axle.
I am hesitant to use brute force to force the wheel off if there is a retaining screw .

Rod

Sleeping Bear

I'm afraid that the wheels on each Axel aren't separate pieces, and if they are, they dont like to be, sounds to me like you may have a bad bearing or broken Axel. Turn your loco over, there is a plastic plate that runs the length of the under side, remove a bunch of screws and lift it off. you may want to look at http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html for tips and tricks on disassembly and also, at the top of this page it says "parts and services", click it then select product references and scroll down 'till you see large scale and 4-6-0. It is an anniversary addition but is the same for getting the axles out.  Hope this is some help........S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Ignore this post.  Continue on to Barry's below.  

Joe

Dear Rod,

IIRC, there is a hub cap that can be pried off.  Screw is underneath.  Use a small dab of the mildest lock-tite, or fingernail polish on the threads.  Careful not to mar the wheel or hubcap.

Hope this helps.

Joe Satnik  

Edit:  added "Ignore....." and line-outs.
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Barry BBT

Joe,

I think you could have said it better, not a hub cap per se, but the whole plastic spoke insert is removable, press from the back of the wheel on the counter weight, when the edge of the insert is above the rim of the wheel insert a small blade screwdriver and lift the insert out, best if you reach across the wheel under the insert to the rod post and twist the tip of the screw driver there.

It sound slik the screw is just loose.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

Sleeping Bear

See, ya learn something every day . Didn't know about the "hub cap", now I do, Thanks Berry. ;D I should have just pointed him to you in the first place but didn't think of that till later. No matter, figured you be in on this before too long any way.....Later all.......S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Model Tug

Thanks to all of you for the help.
As soon as I finished reading these messages I tried the removal procedures suggested.
Worked perfectly!!

Rod

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Barry BBT

Joe,

I wasn't being a critic, but I have read enough of your instructions to know you have done better.

Just trying to help the customer.

Barry - BBT

Joe Satnik

Barry,

On the bright side, it did get the real expert to reply.

Joe 

Barry BBT

jsmvmd

Dear Joe,

I would have to add "magnanimous" to Barry's remark.  Are these guys good, or what ?

Best Wishes,

Jack