Bachmann Large Scale 3 truck shay with Factory Sound

Started by srr4501, October 30, 2010, 09:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srr4501

I have a 3 truck shay with factory sound which apparently is experiencing a problem running at 20 plus volts DCC under load. I measured 20.6 V at the same spot the locomotive begins to jerk with the headlight flashing 10 times in a row which indicates a voltage problem. It's supposed to be good up to 22 V from what I understand. Have any of you experienced an issue of not being able to run these locomotives with voltage this high? I called Soundtraxx and they suggested that I drop the voltage to 18V and hopefully this would resolve the issue. This is the only locomotive that I have with the factory Tsunami sound. All others have Digitrax and Phoenix decoders and run fine.

srr4501

I measured it using a Ramp Meter which I think is accurate but it may be too close to the tolerance set by Soundtraxx. Thanks for your reply.

Stevelewis

When  the  3  truck  sound  enabled  Shay  was  first lauunched on  the  market  there  was  a  lot  of  discussion  about  the  fact  that  the   Loco  would  not  function  correctly at  a  voltage  in  excees  of  18V

There  was  a  lot  of  info  at  the  time  on  UK  Forums,  you  may  wish  to  look  at  G  Scale  Central
(www.gscalecentral.co.uk)  check out  the  forum  sign up  for free membership  and  ask  the  question in  the  Digital  section  of  the  Forum.

Hope  this  helps
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!