Main Menu

scale of new 2-4-2T

Started by R. May, November 01, 2010, 06:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R. May

???wanted to know the actual scale of the new Lyn 2-4-2Ts,
I thought I read somewhere they were 1.20.3,
then would they be a Spectrum series locomotive,
or will they be a Big Haulers series 1.22.5?
thanks for the help and clarification. ;D
R.may

the Bach-man

Dear Mr. May,
I'm told they are 1:20.3, but I've never had plans with which to check.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Tony Walsham

As understand it the original "LYN" was actually 1:22.5 Spectrum loco.

Bachmann will have a hit on their hands if the new "LYN" is really going to be 1:20.3.

What will be more interesting to me is if the drive train is regaugeable to 32mm gauge for the British 16 mm  scale (2' gauge) market.
Any ideas Mr Bachmann?
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

MAELLIS

I found a nice colour drawing of Lyn on the Lynton & Barnstaple Railways webb page:  http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk

The wheelbase for the drivers is given as 5 feet. The wheelbase over the pony trucks is given as 17 foot 6 inches. This can help determin the scale of the first Bachman Lyn.

There are plans to build a full size Lyn from scratch. They have a cab already on display at their station at Woddy Bay. The line is well worth a vist !

Stevelewis

Nice  'PLUG' There  for  the  L & B  if anyone  wants  further  info  Google  Lynton &  barnstaple  Railway.#

Incidentally  a  replica  of the  other  type of   loco  that  the  L& B  had   ( 2-6-2T locos) 4 in total has recently  been  completed by the  FFestiniog  Railway one of  my  local  NG  Railways!

Info  on www.festrail.com.

By the  way   ITS  Woody bay  not   Woddy bay on  the  L&B.
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

samevans

The old one was a rather distorted model allegedly to 1:22.5 scale.  Accucraft did a 16mm live steam version which I understand was a good representation.  May be worth checking their website for a photo

the Bach-man

Dear All,
According to the plans on the L&B site, it's 1:22.5.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

tac

:'(

tac
www.ovgrs.org
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

jsmvmd

Dear Friends and Loco Bill,

Any chance you could fit batteries in this baby ?  Or would you need to make a battery car ? 

From one of the electronically ungifted..... :)

Best Wishes,

Jack, Altoona, PA

Tony Walsham

You could easily fit 5 x SubC NiCd batteries in each side tank of the old one.  So I suppose you should be able to with this new one.

I am really looking forward to a new and improved drive.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

jsmvmd

Dear Tony,

G'Day, Mate !  Thanks a million ! 

My next purchase will be an Indy or Lyn.   Most likely it will be my first battery install, using the directions from Loco Bill. 

Interesting dilemma, which to buy, don't you think ?  Problem solved.  I'll buy one of each !

Best Wishes,

Jack, Altoona, PA

NarrowMinded

Here is a 1:20.3 porter my Lyn (americanized) and a 1:22... Porter

NM

R. May

Your pictures I think tell the story in a general perspective,thanks alot,
the lyn is definately more in size with the 1:20.3 Porter,
than the 1:22.5 porter.
I think I'll be fine with my order of a couple of these new 2-4-2Ts,
thanks again for the photos NarrowMinded.
Randy

Loco Bill

Jack ,

I'm sure you have read Tony's response, same is true for lithium Ion batteries, except they will fit in even less space.

One of my friends put a Revolution Receiver and Phoenix sound board in as well as the Lithium Ion batteries.  I can't remember, but he put either the sound board, or the Revolution under the cab roof.  I couldn't even tell till he pointed it out. 

Cheers!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

NarrowMinded

I like the lyn but I thought the tiny headlamp and smoke stack were silly looking they looked a little small even when compaired the prototype, just my opinion, I'm no rivot counter so I change things to look the way I like.

NM