News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale Track

Started by T34, November 02, 2010, 02:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T34

Hi,
     Is there a company that makes DCC switches for outside use, in large scale?  Also, what type of track is good to use outside? I am planning to start a garden railway in the spring. I want to go with a mountainous theme, so I bought a Bachmann two-truck shay. It is 36 ton Pardee & Curtin Lumber Co. No. 11, the 81196. Also I bought the lumber jack trainset for the second loop, so I need curves to suit both of these engines. I also plan on making a small grade. The tracks will only be a small oval, one inside of the other, the outer one with the grade. So if anyone reccommends a certain type of track please let me know.
                                                                                                      Thanks,
                                                                                                                   Tim :)

Nathan

You will get many different answers to this, all will be correct.

Stainless Steel is going to be more cost, but should require less cleaning then brass and will not expand and contact as much with temperature changes.

Brass track will cost less and if you can put together a simple track cleaner car, or but one of the ones on the market, will work and many people are happy using it,

The Shay will run on 8 Ft diameter track, but use larger if you have room.  The Lumberjack will run on 4 Ft diameter track, but will look better on larger curves.

I use DCC on my large scale, but prefer to use manual turnouts because mother nature tends to drop things on the track and quite often the droppings will end up between the point and the stock rail.  If you want to use remote turnouts most DCC manufactures have turnout decoders that will work with any of the remote / powered turnouts.  No one that I know of makes DCC turnouts with built in decoders.

Stevelewis

Tim

There  IS  a company  that  produces   G  scale  points  Turnouts  with  built  in  decoders:

TRAINLINES -45  ( they  also do  some  rather nice rolling  stock  as  well!)

The  UK  distributor  is  (www.glendalejunction.co.uk)    I am  sure  thst  if  you  were  to  contact  Glendale Junction   Brian  would   advise  you   of anything  you  need  to  know.
Having  said  that   I  have  been  very  satisfied  with  LGB  55024  point  decoders  which fit  directly on to  LGB  Point  motors,  the power  is  then  simply  a  2 wire  connection to  the  track,  I have  used  these  for  many  years  without  problem,  there  is  a  UK  Forum  G  Scale Central (www.gscalecentral.co.uk)  on  which  there  is  lots  of  info.  and  many  members  who  are  experts on   Large  scale  having  been in  the  hobby  for  many  years ( for  example  |I  built my  first  Garden  Line  in '76  thats before Bachmann  produced  large  scale!!)

I have  used  Brass  track  outdoors  for  years  without  problems,  cleaning  is not  such  a  big  issue  I  find  that Using A wood block wrapped in ashhet of  EMERY paper on a regular  basis say once every 3 to 4 weeks keeps the  track clean.

Hope  this helps
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Doneldon

T34 (I thought that was a tank, not a train!)-

You have several options for rail material: stainless, nickel-silver, brass, aluminum and steel.  Each has advantages and disadvantages.  This includes cost.  For example, stainless will conduct well, resist corrosion and be durable, but at the highest cost.  Aluminum will be much cheaper but you may have some corrosion problems and reduced durability.  A factor in your choice should be how you plan to power your system.  You'll want to look at a good conductor which won't require a lot of cleaning if you will use track power, especially so if you also plan to use DCC.  Conductivity won't be an issue if you use battery power and radio controls, or steam.  Overall, I'd recommend strongly against brass as it can be a maintenance nightmare outdoors.  Other than stainless, steel also has lots of problems.  It would be great if someone made Cor-Ten steel model railroad track, but no one does.  That leaves stainless, N-S and aluminum.  Each is a good choice with stainless maybe the winner by a whisker for track power.  Nickel-silver can also be a good choice.

Also, pay attention to your roadbed and ties.  Make sure they are UV resistant and suitable for outdoor use.  You won't encounter a large number of problems here with most materials but it's always good to ask.

Good luck with your project.  I know you've been working on your plan for quite a while.  That's good.  Planning is a critical part of the process.
                                                                                                      -- D

Mark Oles

Tim,

The others have given you good advice.  In my experience,  brass track (LGB and Aristo) has oxidized very quickly but shines up quickly, too.  Personally, I have built 2 garden railroads using brass and one using stainless.  The stainless is 99% less maintenance.   If you are going on board battery power, then you can use just about anything for track. 

If I remember correctly, that shay will go around a 5' diameter curve or tighter.   It is a good idea, however, to plan your railroad with 8' diameter curves so you can run bigger equipment. 

T34

Thanks guys! All of this info will help a lot in planning the railway. By the way I plan to use the NCE PH-Pro-R as my DCC system. Also does anyone have any suggestions for sound decoders for the shay and davenport locos.
                                      Thanks a lot!
                                                 Tim

armorsmith

T34,

The 36 Ton Shay paperwork that came with mine says 10' diameter minimum recommended. I seriously recommend you adhere to that minimum. I also recommend looking around George Schreyer's site http://www.girr.org/girr/index.html There is a wealth of information there, including some on this Shay.

As for sound cards, Phoenix is the only one I am aware of that actually has a sound card with true shay sound capability.

Bob C.

T34

Hi, I found a decoder with sounds that i like. It is the tsu-1000 by Tsunami. Would this decoder have enough power to support the motors in the 36-ton shay? If anyone knows, please tell me.
                                                    Thanks,
                                                                 Tim

Sleeping Bear

I would recommend looking at George Schreyer's site, he has a  lot of info on a lot of different items as well as tips and tricks   http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/shay_tips.html  It has been  well worth my time and recommend giving it a look see......Later......S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Doneldon

T34-

You can use separate sound and motion controllers.  The down side is double installation and probably a bit higher cost.  The advantage is you can get the best of both.
                                                                                                                     -- D

Nathan

If you just want a low cost unit look at he MRC 1819 which has street price well under $100 and use a 3" speaker like the Pheonix 820-770.

The unit has lots of adjustments for chuff, whistle, bell and other items.  I have them in my two truck Shay and am very happy with them.

T34

Nathan,  I think the MRC 1819 is what I'll buy, thanks! I looked at it's manual from the MRC website. Can the ACC 1&2 outputs from the decoder be used as regular lighting outputs, like for the cab light? If I can I plan to keep the original firebox flicker circuit board and just hook it's power wires to the decoder. Also if you ran into any problem during decoder installation, I would like to know what it was.
                                  Thanks,
                                                Tim :)

P.S. Does anyone know if the $10.00 smoke unit in the general large scale parts category on the parts website, will fit in the 0-4-0 davenport gas switcher?

Nathan

Tim,
The two Acc. may be used for what ever you want.  I left the flicker board wired as it came and have not had any problems.

I had no problems with the install, but then I have been putting decoders in Large Scale loco's for over 10 years.  Just take your time and don't do like I did on one early install where I put the loco on the regular track before putting on the the program track, I had two wires wrong and burned up a decoder.