bachmann products made during 1980's & 1990's

Started by tracy1947, November 04, 2010, 07:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tracy1947

i have to say many thanks to jward, simkon, RAM and joe323 for helping recover some knowledge about this wonderful hobby that i suddenly forgot after 17 year gap. thank you guys.

tracy1947

bachmann started changing the old type of rolling stocks to current new one in 1995.  and i started this hobby in 1988 thru 1993.

and now i was able to receive e-mail with current info and prices from train world.  thanks.

tracy1947

what is the current minimum standard weight of the following:

freight car or rolling stock - (how many ounces?.)
diesel locomotive -

simkon

Quote from: tracy1947 on November 15, 2010, 07:14:04 AM
what is the current minimum standard weight of the following:
freight car or rolling stock - (how many ounces?.)
diesel locomotive -
There is no standard for locomotives, but for rolling stock you need to measure it and determine the type of car to have the correct weight according to NMRA standards.
HO is 1 ounce + a 1/2 ounce per inch of length, so a 12 inch car should be 7 ounces.

tracy1947

i check an AHM hopper at 6.75".  so the standard weight should be 4.375 ounce.  but the old AHM hopper weight only 2 ounce.

simkon

Yeah it should be about 4.3 to 4.4 ounces, so you need to add 2.3 ounces of weight.

tracy1947

so how we going add weight to the old freight cars.  i saw they put some rectangular bar below or inside the freight car.  is there any place selling this bar?.  do dealers sell this too?.

OldTimer

You can buy weights in different sizes, some with adhesive backing.  Or you can use large nuts and epoxy them to the floors of closed cars.  A very handy tool to have is a digital scale.  Micromark sells them along with an assortment of weights.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

tracy1947

i remembered when i first started.  i used  a lot of penny as the additional weight.  it is the cheapest way to add weight i think.  use glue to attached each other.  and it cost nothing.  specially when you not use them.  simply take out the penny and use them.

and now i am more becoming a semi-pro.  i need those model train to look at least a real thing.

bobwrgt

If your trains run fine on your home layout you don,t need added weight at all. I run as little weight as needed to keep the cars on the track. That way i can run long trains. Most of my cars have 1/2 the weight removed and stay on the track fine. If you take your cars to a club then you might need more for their track. Also less work for the engine.

Bob

tracy1947

you are right.  specially if we are using the cheap and light locomotive.   at least that locomotive can pull some cars.  before i tried two cheap bachmann diesel locomotives during early 1990's.  and have pulled some 100 light freight cars.  it works.  but slower.

tracy1947

any club or organization at queens new york city?.  or maybe nearby brookyn, manhattan and long island, new york?.

tracy1947

H A P P Y   H O L I D A Y S   T O    A L L.

tracy1947