News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cross Compound Compressor?

Started by Tails, November 08, 2010, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tails

This has been bugging me all day. I've decided to do a little kit bashing on my Spectrum 2-8-0, rebuild the coal bunker, move the headlight, basic things like that.

The one thing I really wanted to add was a Westinghouse Cross Compound Compressor, much like that found on the K-27's and K-28's. I work on GB&L 40 (ex-Georgetown Loop) at the Colorado Railroad Museum, which is an outside frame 2-8-0 that has a lot in common with the Spectrum 2-8-0, which is where I got the inspiration since she has a cross compound compressor.

Does Bachmann, or anyone else for that matter, sell just the compressor off the K-27? I mean, some one had to have broken one off by now and needed a replacement. I just happen to need one for kitbashing.

Sleeping Bear

I haven't gone through the site looking as I don't know what it looks like but have you tried looking at http://www.tracksidedetails.com/index.html they have a lot of different items.....in brass at that....later.....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Tails

Trackside does not carry it, nor does Ozark Miniatures.

Sleeping Bear

Well.....it was worth a try...sorry I couldn't help and good luck with your search. I just found an item today that I've been lookin' for for 9 month's. SOMEONE must either have one or make one you'd think.     "" HEY BERRY""   ,     any Idea's??.......later all.....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Kevin Strong

Try Accucraft. They carry extra parts for most of their locomotives (as supplies last). I vaguely recall seeing a cross-compound airpump on the shelf at Caboose Hobbies a while back, though I could be hallucinating, too. Go to their web site, click on the "Parts" tab, and you'll find an e-mail and phone number. Cliff's a great guy, and if he can help you, he will.

Later,

K

Larry Green

Precision Scale (precisionscaleco.com) has them in 1/2"/1:22.5 scale. I have found many of their parts work fine for 1:20.3.

Larry

Tails

Thanks Larry and Kevin, I'll run down to Caboose Hobbies tomorrow and head for the parts department, or see if I can order it through Precision.

Trying to have my Connie finished for the next train show at the end of the month, so I am running out of time.

Got the Front End work done today, just need to reassemble and hook up the headlight again, then I get to do the work on the Tender, and finally, installing a new Compressor.

Its been an intersting project so far, and I know the warranty is now worth nothing since its been so customized. Guess I better find some money to invest in a spare drive unit....just in case.

Kevin Strong

Caboose's supply of Accucraft parts has been woefully thin for quite some time; alas it was devoid of cross-compound compressors last week when I was looking for compressors for a 4-6-0 makeover I'm working on. (Not that I'm trying to deprive you of an excuse to swing by Caboose and check... ;) ) I ended up with two Ozark Miniatures single airpump castings. Man, I hate plumbing dual air pumps.

What day are you planning on being at the TCA show? I'm going to try to get over there on Sunday for a few hours. I'm tied up on Saturday with my daughter's birthday party. (Eleven 4 - 5 year-old girls at a hair salon... I'm gonna need some "guy time" on Sunday to restore balance.  ;D )

Later,

K

Tails

Hey Kevin, look for Youth in Model Railroading. We will have our G scale display out (only the second time in 4 years). I'll be there both days (assuming the Train for Chicago Arrives on time for a change)

Look for Will.