Anyone ever ride the Big Trees and Pacific Railroad in Santa Cruz, Ca?

Started by mdmeyers1982, December 14, 2011, 12:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdmeyers1982

Just curious....

That is where my love of trains began when I was young, back in the mid-80's to mid 1990's my family would always take a trip down there from San Jose and ride the train... also I remember buying some HO scale rolling stock... well not me buying it, but my grandmother graciously spoiling me...

good times.

blwfish

Yep. Been there several times. It's certainly a bit of a gold mine for those who like geared locomotives, as they operate a couple of Shays (which are both in absolutely pristine condition), and they have both a Heisler and a Climax, although only one was in operable condition when I last visited a year or so ago. They have other stuff too, but the steam is definitely the star of the show there.

I was truly amazed at how popular the place was the first time I went - no parking anywhere, overflow, etc. Turned out that it was a Day Out with Thomas (as in the tank engine) and every five year old from the surrounding ten counties was there... coming back on a different weekend provided a far more relaxing environment.

glennk28

Many times when I lived in the area--saw a lot of changes--haven't been there in about 15 years--gj

ChrisS

glennk28

Actually it is two  railroads--the SCBT&P is the standard-gauge diesel line down to the Beach/Boardwalk at Santa Cruz.  Roaring Camp & Big Trees is the 3-foot gauge line that cllimbs up the mouintain. I haven't been there in many years--wondering whether they eever rebuilt the loop trestle that was burned in the 70's

gj