Can Bachmann still not say what paint is best to fix PRR coaches?

Started by on30gn15, November 06, 2010, 03:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

Can Bachmann still not say what paint is best to fix PRR coaches where letterboards peeled?

It is still difficult to accept that you guys can't tell me that.

I guess that since you can't tell me what is compatible that means you have no real idea what they're using in China. Which implies you haven't a clue whether it is toxic or not.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Sleeping Bear

I had a similar question a while back and was told that the prototypes were painted with Krylon spray paint and the factory matched the color as best they could.  Thus far .....the only  item I know of that isn't done that way is the rail truck. Go back to page 3(Oct 4) The Bach-man replied to me and another to the same affect then. I have good results so far with this method. Hope this helps ........S.B. ;D
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

the Bach-man

Dear Guy,
When I did the prototypes, I used an automotive spray can. The factory matched that color. I don't recall what color I used, but it was likely Plasticote brand.
It certainly has nothing to do with what's in the paint.
If you want an exact match, have it scanned at a body shop, and they'll mix you some.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Bucksco

As the Bach Man stated all of the colors used on Bachmann products are custom mixed at the factory and are matched to a specific Pantone or RAL color specification (or sample). In any event you would not be able to buy an exact match off the shelf in your local hobby store - you would have to custom mix the color. You can stand assured that every Bachmann product is tested and certified to be within the parameters set forth by the Consumer Protection Agency.

Loco Bill Canelos

On30gn15,

For what it is worth, I have had some success by mixing Polyscale paints from the Local Hobby shop.  I like it because it is waterbased cleanup and is easy to mix.  I start with the color that is closest to that on the car.  For greens, I use blue, yellow, and white and black.  While I don't always get it as close as I would like to, I am able, after some practice to get very very close.   I use a color wheel to get to the right direction.  I match the color wheel color to the car color and the starting paint color.  I the look to see which color direction I have to go to.  I use an eye dropper to add the colors I need.  I then let the new mix dry to see how it looks dry.  If not close enough I add more drops til I get there.   Add drops sparingly until you get an idea of how much change occurs with each drop.   I usually make more than I need and also keep a record of what main color I use and how many drops I add of each color in case I need to do it again later.   

This procedure can be frustrating til you get the hang of it, but for an important model it can be well worth the effort.

You can find color wheels online.  Here is one http://realcolorwheel.com/colorwheel/Real_Color_Wheel_475.jpg

Give it a try, if you can't get polyscale use another brand of Acrylic paint.  I have even used the cheap acrylic paint found in craft stores with good success.

Best of luck with your project.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!