News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Historic model trains.

Started by John Boyle, November 04, 2010, 06:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Boyle

To Bachmann: is it possible to buy 4 model trains with only enough track for display? They would be for my grandsons, who just happen to live in Philadelphia. I do not live there, but am trying to figure a way to save some money and shipping costs, legally! ;D

simkon

All you need to do is buy 4 locomotives separately and a package or two of straight track. Bachmann however does not sell direct. You would need to contact your local hobby shop, or an online dealer. Note that the Shopatron network is a separate entity from Bachmann and you would have to contact them if you have a specific request.

Jim Banner

John, when you say "trains," do you mean just locomotives? Or do you mean locomotives plus cars plus caboose if appropriate?  As model railroaders, we tend to think of the latter as "trains" but under certain circumstances a locomotive by itself can constitute a train.

I assume by "historic model trains" you are looking at steam locomotives either with or without appropriate cars.  Locomotives from the earliest days of railroading right up to the last steam locomotives are all available.  They come in various scales from N-scale (1/160 full size) up to large scale (1/20 full size.)  H0-scale, being the most common, has the widest variety of available locomotives.  And they come in a wide variety of wheel arrangements depending on the era and intended use of the locomotive.  For the younger generation of modelers, there are even historic diesels, the early ones that replaced steam but now are seen only in museums or on excursion trains.  Depending on what part of the world you live in, there are also local varieties of historic trains.

If you are an eBay user, there are often good deals to be had from online dealers.  I have dealt frequently with thefavoritespot who sells both by auction and by fixed price ("buy it now.")  Again depending on what part of the world you live in, there may be cheaper sources.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

John B-

You can save on shipping if you buy online (not ebay) and have the merchandise shipped directly to your grandchildren.  I suggest that you start shopping -- and buying -- soon as inventories are likely to be depleted the closer we get to Christmas.  The economy is still pretty shaky so I suspect many retailers will keep their orders to a minimum to avoid having a large carryover into 2011.

Happy Holidays!
                                                                        -- D