News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New 1:20.3 Climax

Started by charon, November 09, 2010, 05:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charon

Fellow Bachmannians,
Regarding the new 1:20.3 Climax locomotives,  the undecorated sound equipped #86097 description calls for white running board edges, but the photo shows the loco as all black,  Anyone know which is correct?
Also, the ad doesn't state whether the sound works alright on DC power as well as DCC.  Will plain ol' DC be ok?
Any info appreciated.
Thanks,
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Tony Walsham

So where does one get to take a look at the Climax described above?
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Bucksco

Photos of the production samples were just taken and will be posted soon. Previous photos were of the undecorated pre-production sample.

charon

There is a full page ad on the back cover of the latest RMC.
Any info on the sound working alright on just DC?
Thanks,
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

John Ramsden

Nice sound. Love the bell sound, but the bell didn't move with the sound, can someone fix that?? ;D
John

calenelson

Gents,

Lots of questions concering my favorite prototype loco:

I'm led to assume the sound is by Sierra...the Steam Generator is the same as the Soundtraxx I added to my Batt/RC installed Annie a few years ago. 

Will this sound system operate like the one formerly offered in the 3 Truck Shay? 

Is it the same technology as offered in the 3T Shay? If not, how does it differ?

I'd also assume one couldn't add analog RC and control the installed sound?

Chuff timing is again optical, is there a mechanical timing option?

thanks
cale

Bucksco

The new Climax features a brand new Soundtraxx Tsunami decoder with full Tsunami sound features. It is a new board not the same as the previous Shay. It simply plugs into the interface board. It sounds awesome - Soundtraxx produces the greatest sound available for model railroading!

As far as RC and sound goes you would probably be better off purchasing the non-DCC version and plugging in your choice of control system and sound board (it's pretty simple).

Kevin Strong

Cool! Any idea if the board will (a) be compatible with other socket-equipped locos, and if so, (b) available as a separate item for purchase?

Later,

K

calenelson

Jack, thanks for the reply!

cale

Bucksco

Quote from: Kevin Strong on November 16, 2010, 06:40:52 PM
Cool! Any idea if the board will (a) be compatible with other socket-equipped locos, and if so, (b) available as a separate item for purchase?

Later,

K

Kevin,
That's the direction we would like to move toward, thus the non-proprietary interface.

Cale,
You're welcome.

Kevin Strong

Jack, your response is a bit vague as to the availability of the decoder separately. Is that something Bachmann is planning on doing, or would it be Soundtraxx's product to introduce to the market?

Also, what's the operating voltage range of this decoder? The Shay was hamstrung by a 21 volt ceiling. Does this one have a higher operating voltage range?

Later,

K

Bucksco

Kevin,
I know for sure that Soundtraxx does not plan to sell the board. We would need to test it with our other large scale models before we make such a decision.

As far as the board voltage goes  The voltage range is up to 25 volts but it is recommended to be used at the same voltage as any large scale DCC which is 18 volts. It can however be run past the 21 volts that the shay was limited to, but again as the voltage gets higher so does the heat so the customer risks the model over heating if they run it too high.

Hope this helps.

Greg Elmassian

Jack, I looked at the pictures, I count 11 pins on one connector and 12 on the other.

Is that correct?

Thanks, Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Kevin Strong