News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Tenders with DCC & Sound!

Started by geoff, November 09, 2010, 03:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoff

I want to commend Bachman for the outstanding HO Spectrum DCC ready tenders they have offered as separate items! To my knowledge, no one has ever done this in the numbers and variety that Bachmann has.

Here is my suggestion!

Offer these same tenders with an appropriate Tsunami Sound decoder already installed as an accessory, ready to plug into any DCC or DCC ready Spectrum locomotive! In this way you could capture a market segment few have though about! It would offer loyal customers who have purchased your non sound Spectrum locomotives in the past a less expensive and simple way to upgrade their existing locomotives to sound! Keep them coming back!

Pacific Northern

Your not the first one to discuss this. I for one think it is a great idea.

However, there is a problem as the Spectrum steamers do not all have the same PC Board.

That fact by itself means only certain tenders could be used with certain specific steamers.

Hence, the tenders would not be a universal fit for all Spectrum steam engines, I could accept that limitation.
Pacific Northern

richg

You are missing the most important issue, speaker location/install. The Tsunami might be considered the "easy" part. Not the speaker install. To many variables. This would probably add about $50.00 to the cost of the tender if Bachmann sold them like that and that is a rough guess. A Tsunami you buy yourslef cost about $90.00 and about $10.00 for speaker for an install you do yourself. Depends on were you buy them.
There are many variables in just speaker types. Everyone hears sounds differently. We could go on for hours discussing/arguing sound quality of different speakers and how the speaker is installed. Think, possible flame wars. I have seen heated discussions on speaker baffles/installs.

Rich

simkon

Basically in short, although many people want something like this it is simply not feasibility at the present time and will likely not happen in the near future. Unless Bachmann makes major changes, it won;t happen and it would not benefit those who already have Bachmann locos.

Atlantic Central

First, a few points about Bachmann locos and tenders.

MOST Spectrum locos sold with sound are the same as their non sound versions, so tsound tenders COULD be offered to easily upgrade non sound locos.

BUT, there are a few restrictions and problems:

Examples:

Older 2-8-0's have 12 volt headlights, newer units, sound and non sound, have LED headlights. So replacement tenders would only work with newer versions - most people don't know which is which.

And much older 1st run @-8-0's even have different plugs!

Just like tender swaps with tnders not offered orginally with a specific loco are a problem, so it would be with sound units.

So, I'm sure Bachmann sees this as too much potential trouble for the service department.

But, some newer tenders are available from the parts department and many come with speaker provisions.

Sheldon

jdmike

I can see it being done, but it would have limitations to DCC ready engines and not the earlier runs that lacked this ablity.  I would love to see a replacement chassis to go under say the shell of a PRR K4 that has the quick plug, but not DCC/Sound in it.  Have the chassis preloaded with a Tsunami with proper sounds, downward facing speaker with enclosure.  Then you just swap the shell over, or they could offer the whole tender.  Great upgrade to previous issue K4's that are out there.   But with the headaches of early models and owners trying to upgrade them, the problems outweigh the benefits right now.  Best bet is to ship your models to one of the companies that do sound/dcc installs.  I know of several I could recommend off forum.   MIke

GN.2-6-8-0

Also keep in mind that Bachmann is no longer offering their line of separate tenders so individual sound equipped tenders are now most likely in the realm of wishful thinking anyways.
Rocky Lives