News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help! one more question

Started by tdrmjr, November 10, 2010, 02:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

Joe, I used to be upset by hit and run posters who would ask a question and then never be heard from again.  But now I realize that the answers are potentially useful to the hundreds of other people who do read them.

Isn't it nice when the questioner takes a moment to say thank you?  But I suppose many do not realize that it can take an hour to write an answer if even a small amount of research is required.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rogertra

Quote from: Jim Banner on November 13, 2010, 07:07:21 PM
Joe, I used to be upset by hit and run posters who would ask a question and then never be heard from again.  But now I realize that the answers are potentially useful to the hundreds of other people who do read them.

Isn't it nice when the questioner takes a moment to say thank you?  But I suppose many do not realize that it can take an hour to write an answer if even a small amount of research is required.

Jim

And some people are just plain rude and don't ever say "Thank you".  Not that that is the case here.

Joe Satnik

Dear Jim and Roger,

Yes, I guess we all like to hear the word "thanks".

Sincerely,

Joe
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

trainmaster971

Did you guys give any thought to maybe the poster was sitting back reading all the great comments that had been left and was waiting for more before re-entering the post to give you the Thanks that you want.  This attitude, that is so often shown on some replies, can chase away new modelers. I hope you have not discouraged another potential model railroader.

Doneldon

tdrmjr-

Be sure to get plastic compatible oil and grease for your trains or you'll ruin the plastic parts.  Regular petroleum oils attack the plastic, turning it gummy.
                                                                                                           -- D

Jim Banner

Quote from: trainmaster971 on November 16, 2010, 02:15:36 PM
Did you guys give any thought to maybe the poster was sitting back reading all the great comments that had been left ...

Not for a moment.   tdrmjr hasn't been back to this forum since November 11, 2010 at 01:15:37 PM.  I suspect he won't be back.  Too bad that he missed the last eight postsings.

I believe Joe got it right.  It IS nice to hear "thanks" once in a while.  It does two things.  (1) it serves to indicate that the original poster has read the answers that were freely and voluntarily given to him, and (2) it encourages the answering posters to continue posting.

trainmaster971, do you really think anyone would be turned off model railroading or any other hobby by the mere mention of the word "thanks?"  I don't believe any of us has asked anyone to actually say it or criticized anyone for not saying it.  I do plead guilty to wondering if the original poster might be a "hit and run poster."  And I am still wondering.

In the meantime, may I say thank you to all who do take the trouble to say thanks.  You are ladies and gentlemen, one and all.

Jim

simkon

It is possible that they did check back in, but did not login.

Jim Banner

You are correct.  He could check anonymously.

Jimi