News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachman 44 tonner

Started by CPRailer, June 02, 2007, 10:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CPRailer

Hello all!
I was looking to purchase a Bach 44 tonner for a re powering project.  I understand there was an old style with twin motors and a newer model with 1 motor. I was wondering which is the better loco? I don't care about the shell and details since I am only going to use the drive train. I am more interested in smoothness, pulling power and low speed performance. Decoder installation might factor in too. I'm going to use it to replace a tender drive so I think I'll have plenty of room for a decoder and maybe extra weight if needed. Do either models use traction tires or are they all wheel drive and pick up?
Thanks
PS-Does this forum have a topic search function? I don't see one.

pdlethbridge

My brother has the 1 motor 44 tonner and it is a very smooth runner. No traction tires and all wheel drive and pick up.

RAM

If you want dcc go with the one motor.  If you want the best of the two, go with the one motor.  In other words go with the one motor. 

CPRailer

Thanks! I guess it's a single motor for me then!

Anyone know about a search function or keyword look up here?

lanny

Hi,

An added word of 'warning' about the 'old style' two motor 44 tonner. That series is very prone to haveing 'split' gear problems. I had one and it had that problem. I called 'Bridget' at Bachmann and she explained to me that Bachmann no longer stocks replacement gears for the old style 44 tonner.

You can find a lot of these in 'mint' condition on eBay, but as another has said, almost everyone of them will have a problem with split gear, even though they are 'MIB'.

So, stay with the new style single motor 44 tonner. The one I have is a sweet little runner.

Try 'GE 44 ton' as a search word on eBay. "The Favorite Spot" is one good place to find them (I have no financial connection with this company, which is a licensed Bachmann dealer with a spotless reputation for honesty and low prices)

lanny nicolet

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Paul M.

Yes, they do have a search function. Scroll up to the top of the forum where it says Hey,_______, you have X messages, X are new. Right under that it'll say  -home -help- search -profile- logout -photo gallery-

And whadda you know!, there's search.

Hope this helped,
Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

tomcat623

So if I have a twin motor 44 tonner Brand new in the box, it's still not worth or possible to convert to dcc?
Just wondering,
Tom

lanny

Tom,

I am not DCC knowledgable ... it may be possible to convert it.

And even if it has split gears (yours may not if you are lucky) it still has value. The one I had with the split gears I advertised on eBay and was amazed at the price paid for it. I clearly stated that though it had new motors it also had split axel gears.

I think someone told me that On3 modelers as well as HO traction modelers really like to get hold of this particular locomotive for 'scratching' into something else. I think that NWSL probably could provide usable gearing the the locomotive if the existing wheel/axel gears are split.

So, yes, your locomotive is worth something! Sorry I can't help you with your DCC question.

lanny nicolet

RAM

It is possible to convert to dcc.  How ever if your time is worth anything, than it is cheaper to buy a new one motor model

Stephen D. Richards

I agree with Lanny, I have purchased several items from the Favorite Spot and they are very dependable plus being one of the lower priced sellers in the market!  Good people to deal with!  If you have a twin motor 44 Tonner without the gears split, it would make a great collectable piece.  If your not into collecting, I'd sell it and buy two or three new DCC ones.  I like collecting so I would probably keep it myself!  Just a thought.  Stephen

lanny

Hi Stephen,

You sure are right about 'The Favorite Spot' having really good prices. I just purchased a couple ICRR heavy mountains from them ('DCC ready', not the newer 'DCC On Board') for $81.00 bucks a piece (including postage). I think those locomotives originally had an MFSR price of around $200.00 and most discount stores sell them for well over $100.00 a piece plus shipping.

I intend to 'kit bash' them into true ICRR mountains. The Spectrum heavy mountain that is DCC ready is an incredible runner, smooth and powerful, but to make it resemble a true ICRR Mountain will require a fair amount of work. Trainworld has the next best price I have found for Spectrum Heavy Mountains that are 'DCC ready' ... $109.99 plus shipping.

I don't work for the Favorite Spot and have no financial part with them. They are an 'offical' Bachmann dealer and just really have great prices on their Bachmann stuff.

lanny nicolet

ATSF5700BOB

Hi Steve! As of Yesterday, Caboose hobbies in Denver had a Bachman GE 44 ton locomotive with a Santa Fe style zebra stripe paint scheme that had the new drive. And Caboose Hobbies advertised as such on their website.
The site is: www.caboosehobbies .com/catalog/index.php
  Hope you have a pleasant evening.
                    ATSF5700Bob
  St. Louis & Santa Fe RR in HO Scale
  Seasonal Pine Tree Central in 3 rail"O"gauge