Is it time for Bachmann to introduce new track items?

Started by Mr. T., November 11, 2010, 09:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. T.

Yeah, I know, it was dumb to even  start down this path... but I'm planning my permanent layout around Bachmann sectional track.  :P

Bachmann track has the major advantage for Newbies like me of being the most cost effective  track option out there right now if you're going for an indoor only layout.

Real fast tho you discover the limitations inherent in that sort of a plan.

First... is Bachmann planning on ever introducing another radius of curve? Like one that allows the construction of a 2 track main line?

As it is, using existing  straights and turnouts it's quite possible to set up passing shunts...  but the moment you hit a curve, church is out.

Next... a 45 degree crossover, to supplement  the existing 90 degree, would be a handy item to have available.

Finally... the MOST valuable thing to produce would be track adaptor sections that would mate Bachmann track to, say, Gargraves flex track.

I fear none of this is ever gonna happen, but I figure it can't hurt to ask!

Mr. T.
Rule #1 - There's no such thing as owning too many sections of straight track!

Owner & Operator of the Mahon Loomis Memorial Radio Monitoring Station & Irish Setter Retirement Home

Afficionado of Women's Flat Track Roller Derby, Kilts,  Sidecar Motorcycles, and other eclectic effluvia

the Bach-man

Dear Mr. T,
Nothing's been announced, and, to be frank, I doubt it will happen, but I will pass along your request.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Doneldon

Mr. T-

It's usually not too hard to adapt "foreign" track to Bachmann.  The only lingering problem is the change in appearance.  That can generally be ameliorated with the application of ballast and paint.
                                                                                                                    -- D

Loco Bill Canelos

I have seen some really nice large layouts using Bachmann Track iindoors.  Some have dual track mainline but Im not sure how they did it.  It involved using a straight section in the middle of the outside curve, or possiblly a shortened straight section. 

Maybe one our track experts will chime in on this, they have some great ideas on modifing existing track.

Bachmann track is a great value, and it is a shame they probably won't add new pieces.

Most of all enjoy your indoor layout.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

NarrowMinded

You alternate some straights on the outside curve to make it larger.

Making an adaptor from solid track to bachmann track is simple, you just need to file the railhead an base of the track so it fits inside the hollow track.

NM

Mr. T.

Actually, after looking over my original post, I notice that I misspoke about the proposed new crossover. A 45 degree won't work with the Bachmann track system.

Instead, a 60 degree crossover would be compatible, since existing curves are 30 degrees each.
Rule #1 - There's no such thing as owning too many sections of straight track!

Owner & Operator of the Mahon Loomis Memorial Radio Monitoring Station & Irish Setter Retirement Home

Afficionado of Women's Flat Track Roller Derby, Kilts,  Sidecar Motorcycles, and other eclectic effluvia

grayfitz

Hi everybody, I think its about time BACHMANN introduced in their lineup a better quality track that at least will accomodate their K27 and 2-66-2 ,of course then the people that use their track inside would be able to update then buy and operate a SPECTRUM type loco.  GRAHAM from downunder..

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

IF Bachmann were to make an indoor only sectional curve track to accommodate ALL its released and announced Large Scale engines, what size (minimum LGB R#, diameter or radius) would it have to be?

Kevin?

Dear Mr. T.,

You passed Advanced Track Geometry.   Good for you.   

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Added note to Mr T.

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Kevin Strong

The 1:20.3 rolling stock requires a minimum 4' radius, so that's what I'd shoot for. The stuff I have fits LGB's "R3" curve, which is a few inches shy of 4' radius.

I don't know about Bachmann track being all that much cheaper, really. Whenever I see it in the stores, it's still going for $4 - $5/foot or thereabouts. There's a seller on ebay asking $25 for four 12" sections! That's $6.25/foot! For lousy track! If you're spending that kind of money, buy the good stuff. If you're a little strapped for cash, look for folks selling used track. I did a quick search on ebay, and found more lots of used *good* track going for around $2 - $3/foot than I found the lousy Bachmann track. Don't waste your money. Be patient and buy the good stuff. You'll be far better off down the road.

Later,

K

NarrowMinded

Wow lousy? Nice way to talk about your hosts products :o
NM

Sleeping Bear

"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

charon

Mesquite Short Line

Kevin Strong

The hosts of this site (and their bosses) have long advocated buying the other guys' track. Perhaps they wouldn't use the word "lousy," but they're on the payroll. I'm not. They make no apologies for their track being of inferior quality; it's not intended to be equal. It's "job" is to give the consumer something cheap upon which they can run the company's trains straight out of the box. The problem is, the track costs as much as the good stuff, which makes it a comparatively poor choice in terms of value for quality and value for the dollar. If you're spending good money for track, don't buy the stuff the manufacturer makes no bones about being inferior to the others' track. Buy the stuff they recommend you buy, instead.

Track has always been a weak spot in Bachmann's large scale product line-up. We know it, and the guys in Philly know it. Given the upgrades they've done to the rest of the product line to continually improve it and make it some of the best stuff on the market, I think that speaks volumes to where improvements to track products sit on their list of priorities. Bachmann's engineers could design track compatible with the others' in their sleep. It's just not on the radar screen.

Personally, I think if Bachmann isn't going to produce better quality, compatible track to include with their starter sets (and since the head honchos spend so much time advocating buying Aristo's track anyway), they should enter into an agreement to include Aristo's track with their starter sets. We know Aristo and Bachmann(UK) have struck agreements for cross marketing. The avenue for dialog exists. Bachmann clearly doesn't care about large scale track, and this way the consumer starts off with track that is already compatible with a whole world of products--not just the very limited-in-scope, not-suitable-for-outdoor-use, pretty-darned-flimsy stuff the consumer pretty much has to chuck out the window if they want to expand beyond the basic oval.

Later,

K

Doneldon

Kevin-

I do think you were a bit harsh in calling Bachmann's track "lousy," but I also think you've opened an excellent argument for including Aristo track with Bachmann sets.  I'm not so sure this would be controversial at Bachmann, nor do I think it would cause a significant profit loss.  But it would be a truly customer-friendly action on Bachmann's part.  And, Bachmann could devote the freed-up manufacturing capacity to the locos and rolling stock which they do so well.  So, excellent point but please take it easy on the inflammatory rhetoric.

-- D

Bachmann-

How 'bout it?

-- D

Loco Bill Canelos

I have seen Bachmann Track go for as little as .50 per foot at swap meets and no shipping to pay. 

A friend of mine has a very elaborate indoor layout using over 600 feet of the track.  He thinks it is great stuff and it most certainly works well for him.  While I do not personally use it I would not refer to it as "lousy"   I have never visited his layout to find that his trains did not run. 

I have seen other layouts which use it as well, one is even outdoors at Christmas.  He sprays the track with electronics cleaner when he puts it out, and when he takes it down three weeks later he sprays it with WD-40.  I think he sprays it each week.   He has been doing it for years with the original track!!   
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!