News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Battery Control for K-27

Started by mudhen, November 14, 2010, 04:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudhen

Has anyone tried to install the Aristocraft Revolution into a K-27 ?
I am told you take out the dummy board, place the Aristocraft decoder in its place, switch the control sliders for battery power, add batteries, and sound system and then program the decoder and Bob's your uncle, your K-27 is running. In less than 1 hour.
Is this about right. does anyone have thoughts on this.
I am also told that the decoder is made to drop into the K-27 mother board with no problems.
Thanks in advance for all answers.

Kevin Strong

That's pretty much it, with one little issue--the headlights didn't work when I plugged my receiver in. I forget what the issue is. I ended up gutting the board anyway, and then I wired the headlights to one of the auxiliary lighting functions. (I didn't like the front headlight going off when in reverse.) But beyond that, it is just a matter of plugging things in and off you go.

Later,

K

Tony Walsham

You will of course have to arrange for the batteries to be recharged.  Either by making them removable or fitting a charging jack for in loco charging.
Getting the stock loco chuff timer to work will also require some creative additional electronics or fabrication of your own reed switch and magnets.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Doneldon

mudhen-
I thought Bob was my father!!
                   -- D

mudhen

No Bobs your Uncle and as for the head light going out when in reverse, That's prototypical.

Kevin Strong

Quote from: mudhen on November 16, 2010, 06:53:44 PM...as for the head light going out when in reverse, That's prototypical.
Not universally. Railroads--particularly narrow gauge ones which considered themselves insular from federal mandates at every opportunity--often had their own rules for headlight use. (to say nothign of the pre-electric light era, but I don't have those hooked up to the aux functions--they're always on.) Even today, you'll find the front headlights on while locos are backing up through switching moves. The automatic directional lights are okay for most, but I like to have manual control when possible.

Later,

K