News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

hesitating and stopping. Help!

Started by cooper37, November 09, 2010, 11:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooper37

Hi I need help this my secound time having trouble with bachmann locomotives. first one was an ho i ran it and it stop working i returned it. this time i bought and n scale set it worked for a few hours the n it hesitated and stop its an EMD F9 diesel locomotive all wheel drive. i wiped the tracks and wheels of the locomotive it runs then it stops and doesnt want 2 run. i try it again it starts and stops.  its ez track .so i dont know what to do. buy another locomotive. this is frustrating. i have a lionel o g train and never had a problem with it. its been 5 years and it runs great. So someone please help ?

simkon

G & O scale are completely different than HO and N scale. It is very likely;y that the locos and track appear clean when in actuality they are not. Alternatively something could have got in the mechanism such as fibers and other small particles. It is also possible that you burned out the motors. Do you lube your engines at all, as this plays a factor.

Albert in N

If your F-9 is brand new, it may have been over oiled at the factory.  I simply use an old hanky or other rag damp with rubbing alcohol and wipe the track.  Then I follow with a dry rag.  You will probably see black streaks on the rag, showing the oil and dirt residue cleaned off the track.  Then I run the locomotive with train at least 5 times over the track.  I follow by cleaning the track again.  Repeat until the train quits getting the track dirty.  If you have indoor pets (I have two cats) or other source of hair, lint or dust, this can build up and jam the gears on the locomotive and bind the wheels on the locomotive and cars.  I periodically inspect my trains with a magnifing glass and light.  I use tweezers to remove the debris.  Then I clean the track and enjoy running Bachmann trains.  It is only rarely necessary to lubricate the gears on N scale and then only very sparingly with plastic compatible hobby oil.   My F-9 runs like a champ.  It was slightly oily when new, but not nearly as oily as my new Fairbanks Morse H16-44  and GE B-30-7.  Do not over oil.  Be aware that many other brand N scale manufacturers discourage oiling since N scale locomotive gears are mostly friction free nylon.  Don't give up on N.  It is fun and once the track and train wheels are clean, you should be able to run the train for several hours before the track needs cleaning again.  Go to a train show and watch the N scale modelers.  :)