News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Painitng Engineering Plastic railing

Started by Trainman1962, January 12, 2011, 10:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman1962

:'( Does anyone have a good way to get paint to stick to these delrin railings on bachman locomotives ? The super flexibility is great when Grandson wants to grab PawPaws choo choo but paint jus' ain't a gonna stick to them. I'm relatively new to the super detailing and painting of N Scale models and read somewhere of a concotion of stuff and battery acid to "etch" the railing ( I would probably end up etching the fire out of me first). Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

railtwister

Quote from: Trainman1962 on January 12, 2011, 10:43:46 PM
:'( Does anyone have a good way to get paint to stick to these delrin railings on bachman locomotives ? The super flexibility is great when Grandson wants to grab PawPaws choo choo but paint jus' ain't a gonna stick to them. I'm relatively new to the super detailing and painting of N Scale models and read somewhere of a concotion of stuff and battery acid to "etch" the railing ( I would probably end up etching the fire out of me first). Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Radio Controlled Car models use a specially formulated flexible paint for painting the clear plastic polycarbonate bodies of their R/C cars, it might be worth a try on your railings. A couple of things to watch for a how well the paint dries (does it remain tacky after it should be dry?), and also that paint buildup on the handrails increases their diameter rather quickly and dramatically, especially in N scale, so use as few coats of paint as possible.

Good luck,
Bill