News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need lower 4-4-0 tender coupler

Started by Albert in N, November 05, 2010, 09:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert in N

My Union Pacific 4-4-0 (came with Prairie Flyer set) came with Rapido tender couplers.  The tender coupler is too high and uncouples from the passenger car(or any Bachmann freight car).  I replaced the couplers on the set with Bachmann dummy knuckle couplers.  The tender coupler is still too high and uncouples.  I tried adjustments, but still the same problem.   I want to replace the rear coupler with MicroTrains coupler.  However, I need to know if there is a drop in replacement (inside existing coupler pocket) or if it is better to simply remove the coupler and screw on an assembled MicroTrains coupler unit.  If there is a simple fix for lowering the Bachmann dummy knuckle coupler, that would be great!   I also note that my Bachmann Fairbanks Morse H16-44 had improper height couplers, but I replaced by screwing on MicroTrains couplers.

brokemoto

This is the latest edition of the B-mann eight wheeler with a #2004 coupler.  It did require minor cutting on the coupler space to accomodate the MT coupler.  It requires no shims.  I do recommend using a pin vise to tap a  hole.    The locomotive is next to a MT thirty six foot refrigerator.  The coupler actually works on a magnetic uncoupling ramp.  The  slow speed control on the locomotive is so good that you can actually use it as a working locomotive as opposed to using it simply as a runner.

Albert in N

Thanks for photo.  Since my older UP 4-4-0 had too high coupler, I found an old MiniTrix F-7B unit that I had converted years ago with MicroTrains 1125 unassembled T-shank level couplers.  I installed one of these in the coupler pocket of my Bachmann 4-4-0 and it works fine and is the correct height.  I simply installed the Bachmann dummy coupler in the MiniTrix F-7B and no problems.  My old Trix and Rapido is usually stored in original boxes and rarely used.  I now run my newer Bachmann, Kato, and Atlas units.   The older Trix and Rapido reminds me how far N scale has come since I bought my first N train set back in 1969 (an Atlas Riverossi E-8 powered set).  In the early 1970s, Rapido,  Trix, and Bachmann were the best.  However, they seem crude compared with today's N scale.  I still have fond memories of the dependable Bachmann F-9s and GP-40s since they always ran well, but had noisy spur gears like Rapido.

brokemoto

Quote from: Albert in N on November 13, 2010, 11:01:12 PM
In the early 1970s, Rapido,  Trix, and Bachmann were the best.  However, they seem crude compared with today's N scale. 

Rapido just re-emerged.  They sell smoothside passenger cars in N that are up to to-day's standards.

Model Power bought out TRIX, but if they sell anything in North American N, I have yet to see it.

B-mann has come a long way, as well.  There have been major improvements to some old items, such as the eight wheeler in the photograph.  The old ones wobbled, the new ones do not.  There is more consistency to the running qualities of the newer versions and the slow speed control is excellent.  Many of the SPECTRUM offerings are also very good.

fieromike

Rapido didn't reemerge. Rapido Trains are a completely different company from the defunct Arnold Rapido from Germany.  Their stuff is "state of the art"!

Mike

poliss

Marklin own Trix, not Model Power. The Arnold Rapido brand is now owned by Hornby.

Albert in N

For the record, my 4-4-0 was purchased new in 2006 with set.  It was just prior to the dummy knuckle coupler age.  The next shipment at Hobby Lobby had the dummy knuckle couplers.  Regarding the old Arnold Rapido, it was always dependable and I still have a GP-7 (has metal cup gears) and S-2 (spring on motor shaft turns on spur gears).  Strangely, the S-2 had no headlight (same as earlier Rapido locos), even though the S-2 was the latest rage in 1990.  They both run well, but are not nearly up to today's standards.  MiniTrix always had headlights and my old ones still run well.  However, MiniTrix is like earlier Chinese-made Atlas locos (ones not DCC ready) in that they demand extremely clean wheels and track or they stop or run in jerks.  My old MiniTrix brass brush wheel cleaner (Trix 66623 Lokradreiniger N, per the box) takes care of the wheels.   Going back into Early N, I don't miss the earlier Atlas Rivarossi and Yugoslavian and Austrian (Roco) manufactured locos.  They had fine wires running from wheel wipe pickups to motor as well as open brush (non can) motors.  I spent many an hour trying to fix them and keep them going.  The Rocos may have had can motors, but I remember the Rivarossi Italian and Yugo locos running hot after a short time.  Also, the fine wires often came loose or broke.  My limited exposure to Lima and ConCor was not favorable.   The early Bachmann F-9 and GP-40 ran very well.  For the record, I hope that Keith Wills (Railroad Model Craftsman Collector Consist) writes about older N soon.  I remember first seeing ads for Lone Star Treble O (became N scale) in mid 1960s.  My first Atlas N set was purchased new in 1969.  N has been around a while!