News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SD45 coupler conversion

Started by maxgee, November 13, 2010, 05:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxgee

Hey Bach-Man

All my rolling stock is converted to knuckle couplers either accumate or MT. Got a Bachmann SD45 for my birthday. I tried use MT 1015-1 couplers as MT's website says is the one that should work. Works fine on the front, but on the long hood end there's not enough clearance between the coupler MT coupler box, and the truck causing the truck to bind. I've ground down the coupler box and rounded the corners and it still binds. Any suggestions, only one I got was on the Trainboard. " Buy Katos".

Albert in N

Max, I don't own one, but thinking about adding the Spectrum SD-45 to my layout.  How well does it run?  I owned a late 1980s or early 1990s Kato SD-45 and it ran well, but took over 6 volts to get it moving and it seemed to draw at least half an amp.  It already had Micro Train couplers since I bought it used at Lone Star Hobbies in San Antonio TX.  I traded it in at a train show recently.
From experience with adding Micro Trains couplers to other locos, sometimes it is necessary to assess the quirks of the locomotive needing the conversion and use a different coupler than recommended.  I saw a posting on adding Micro Trains couplers to SD-45s in this Bachmann Message Board about a year ago.  You might be able to page back to it. 

Franz T

I used a 1015, but to get sufficient clearance I did not use the mounting screw on the coupler box but *carefully* ACC'd into place  with the coupler protruding just a littler more than it would normally. You need to dry fit it and fiddle with it a bit to get the correct position. There are quite a few installations where I had to ACC the coupler box in place for one reason or other. The key is to use as little ACC as possible and apply it very carefully to the locomotive and not the coupler box. Too much ACC in the wrong place and you end up with a coupler that is welded solid. (Do not ask how I know this ;D..)