News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum SY 2-8-2

Started by Pacific Northern, November 12, 2010, 04:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

A question for the Bach Man

I recently bought another of these engines and am very impressed with its running abilities. I was in the process of breaking in the engine to ensure that there were no defects with this engine.

This engine runs better than any of my other Spectrum steamers. I was impressed with the overall running capabilities of all of my Spectrum steamers but this particular engine is just that more noticeable a superior running engine.

Can you give me some comparison data of the motors installed in the Spectrum steamers. I see the SY has a larger engine than the typical Spectrum. I have to assume that the motor used in the SY is a superior engine than those used in the other Spectrums.

Can this motor be swapped and mounted in any other Spectrums?

Pacific Northern

the Bach-man

Dear PN,
I have no such data. Contact the service department- they may be able to help.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Pacific Northern

I forgot to mention that a quick scan of the Parts section of this site shows the electric motor from the SY 2-8-2 is about twice as expensive as the motor say from the 2-8-0.

I was also surprised to see that just about every steamer uses a different motor.
Pacific Northern

Atlantic Central

A few random thoughts on this:

$18 x 2 = $36 which is about 30% more than $25, I guess that is about twice as much depending on your definition of "about".

Allmost ALL Bachmann part numbers appear to be unique to each loco, even when it is obvious the parts are the same:

Examples - long haul tender floors, tender trucks, and some tender shells have different numbers for 2-6-6-2's, 4-8-2H's and 2-10-2's, but they are all obviously the same.

So we can assume that some otherwise identical parts are identified seperately for each loco.

The 2-8-2 motor does look unique, but so do many others in the line, I doubt its really "special" - because:

The motor alone is not likely the reason the loco runs so well and it is doubtfull that simply replacing the motors in other locos will make them run better.

A locomotive drive is a system - if there is a problem with the system find it and fix it. Don't just asume the motor is the problem.

What other locos do you have and why is the 2-8-2 better?

Will it run slower? All other factors being equal, that is just as likley a result of gear ratio as it is to be motor design.

Will it pull more? (I really doubt that) Pulling power is almost always a direct function of weight and loco suspension. At the power levels we are working at motor torque has little to do with that.

I have eight 2-8-0's, four 2-6-6-2's, nine 4-8-2H's, five 2-8-4's, and two 4-6-0's - they all run great.

I don't have the SY 2-8-2 as it does not fit my layout theme, so I cannot comment on its performance compared to my other Bachmann steamers - please explain.

Sheldon

Pacific Northern

Sheldon

On my active roster I am running Spectrum 4-4-0, 4-6-0, 2-8-0 and the 2-8-2. I run a DCC layout and have removed most of the Spectrum factory DCC decoders and replaced them with Digitrax units.

As I stated, I am content with the running capabilities of all of my Spectrum engines. I had considered my 4-6-0's as my best running engines, mainly slow speed control. It was only after I had replaced the decoder in the 2-8-2 that I realized the 2-8-2 now had better low speed control than the 4-6-0's.

I am quite aware that differences in gearing/drivetrain components has an obvious affect on an engines running characteristics.

I noticed that when I was servicing the 2-8-2 that the engine was longer than the other typical electric motors used in the Spectrum engines.  I wondered if their were any stats available from Bachmann as to the specs of the electric motors used by Bachmann. It was never my intention to start swapping motors in any of my Bachmann steamers.

Pacific Northern