Powering Bachman EZ Track with an existing DCC system

Started by Dennis44236, November 17, 2010, 06:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis44236

I have a large layout using Atlas track and a MRC Prodigy DCC system. I recently built another 4x8 table and have extended the Atlas track onto it. I have added a loop of Bachman EX Track that will cross the Atlas track in two places. I have already purchased and installed Bachman crossings. Now I need to supply power to the Bachman track using my existing DCC system. I purchased a DCC equiped Bachman trolley to run on the new track. I need to remove one of the track connectors from a piece of Bachman track and install Atlas terminal joiners and run the wire to the DCC power supply. My problem is that I cannot find a way to remove the connector from the Bachman EZ track. Is there a way to do this?

simkon

You can also get a piece of Bachmann terminal track plug into the track terminal and hook up the other end to your system. They come with the standard wires at the end not just the Bachmann connector.

Jim Banner

Quote from: simkon on November 17, 2010, 06:55:31 PM
You can also get a piece of Bachmann terminal track plug into the track terminal and hook up the other end to your system. They come with the standard wires at the end not just the Bachmann connector.

I think what simkon is trying to say is that you could use a Bachmann E-Z Track terminal/rerailer section as part of your E-Z Track loop.  These terminal/rerailer sections come with a cable that will plug into it.  Or the cable can be purchased separately.  It does not matter what type of connection is on the other end of the cable.  Just chop it off and connect the wires to your existing DCC system.

If you wish to use the Atlas terminal joiners, you will, as you say, have to remove the Bachmann rail joiners.  These are not only crimped to the rails but also interlock with the plastic bases.  Grabbing them with a stout pair of needle nose pliers and giving a good, hard pull will usually get them off.  Alternately, try opening up the rail joiners with a tiny screw driver.

A Third option is to solder wires onto the bottom of the Bachmann rail joiners or to the outsides of the rails.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Dennis44236

Thank you for the replies. It really helps. Another problem, maybe, is that the Bachman EZ track is the brown base with nickel silver rails, but the crossings are the black base with the steel track.  Does that matter?

Jim Banner

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

simkon

By brown base, do you mean grey base because I've never seen E-Z track with a brown base, I've only seen black and grey. When you ballast your track, no one will be able to notice though. :'(